PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1272 Members

Writer's Circle

1. Posted on Feb 8, 2008, 2:36:23 PM UTC
    ID: 20914 | #21
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

How about instead of "other creatures who are essentially elves" just "other fantasy beings". Sounds shorter, lol. I don't write a lot of fantasy anymore. Between Land and Sea is the only fantasy thingy majingy I write, and that I only work on when my cyberpunk muse has gone to sleep.

Usually I just have to check one box and that is sci fi. I wish they had a cyberpunk box.

2. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 3:25:50 AM UTC
    ID: 20928 | #22
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

The Legolas fanjerks ( Not all of them are...just some) have got to get out more (read more books)  There are many elves that far exceed Legolas in character development, looks and charm.  Take Aravan - a stunning dark haired elf of Dennis McKiernan's Mithgar saga.  He's...just damn cool.  Legolas pales in comparison. 

I wanted to start a dialogue with the members of the Writers Circle about their lore.  What have you put together to make your world different.  We often talk about what bores us?  Well what entices you - and have to incorporated those aspects in to your own story writing some way?

:evil: I have delt with the elves in my own story (Tales of Trugan)  by killing them off.  They are a dead race.  And...I only hint to the possible existance of Dark Elves.  No dwarves.  But I do bring in some other mythical beings: Unicorns, minotaur or Bohvun as I call them, Centaurs and some comfortable familiars like: fea folk, spites, fearies, trolls, ogres, drakes, dragons, chimera, basilisk, gorgons, nagas and even a djinn or two.  On top of my new races like Havoc demons, Pleasure gorgons and Elundri.  I'm still debating on vampires.  They wouldn't be undead.  They would be living creatures - no cursed angsty souls, simply a biological need for the blood of others. 

Some of the creatures I listed above don't get enough screen time in my opinion.  I can't tell you guys how much I crave a well done centaur.  I eat it up when they appear in the Harry Potter movies.  I love minotaur's and not the brutish fighting berserkers as portrayed in the Narnia movies....I opt for a peaceful and wise race - a lot like their bovine cousins, simple. 

Unicorns in my world are not some pretty white  Lipizanner stallion/mare, but more like the Chinese Ki-Rin.  Goat like, cloven hoofed, tufted tail, iredecent scales, beautiful twisting horn.  In Trugan there are difference species of Unicorn.  Some are deer like with large eyes and a short fluffly tail, and the rarest are the equine that resemple a stepp horse of east Asia.  Short mane, stocky and roaming in large heards on the edge of the world.  And I also include that the Narwhale is also a unicorn of sorts ( in the mythical sense - they are sentient) long adapted to the seas...  Why not...their horns were passed off to European royalty as 'unicorn horns' :)

I like taking the same 'ol myths and legends and working out an alternative that readers can enjoy. Anybody else working on the same or have ideas they'd like to share?

3. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 9:56:29 AM UTC
    ID: 20932 | #23
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

Well, I have no elves, lol.

I do have a sort of centaur like race called the Chardeion. They have deerlike bodies and they don't have hair but fur that grows on their heads and backs. Ofcourse they also have antlers growing on their heads, both the male and female Chardeion. They are reclusive and live in the great forest of Naclos, a druidic society. Most males are hunters and protect their woods and tribe. A tribe is lead by an elder couple of Chardeion. They used to live on plains but were driven backwards by the race of man and as such they have come to distrust the race of man. They revere Mother Nature and live according to her wishes. At the end of their lives Chardeion become full deer. They haven't made an appearance in the story yet, so I'm still working on this.

Then I have the Kodara. They are tall beings,with tusks and skin that can be various forms of green and blue. Their hair is bright, can be green, blue, red, white and various shades in between. They have regenerative abilities and their legs look like those of a raptor. I have only come up with this race recently, as one of the major characters is one, although she was raised by the Chardeion.

I can't forget Ahura's race. I guess they come closest to elves, although they have been living in the oceans for centuries already. I still need to think more about them. We've only met Ahura so far and I need to think about what their society is like.

4. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 11:57:42 AM UTC
    ID: 20936 | #24
    puayen
    Level 14
    XP

Thinking of it, my fantasy creatures are really just modified elf-like beings which I gave different names. They all have wings or fins, I think. One way to make them original and appealing/believable to the readers is to invent a strong background of cultures, rituals etc for them (and this excludes the usual He is ____, son of ____, heir of ____ etc). When the characters/races are very well developed and appealing, readers tend to look pass whether they are cliche- I guess.

Story-wise, I often start a story these days when a realization/inspiration struck me, and I have to express this message, or idea, or this feeling of being inspired in words. Hmm... I realize I don't think too much about audience-target etc (I don't write with marketing my book in mind), but just go ahead with what I feel like.

5. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 12:33:11 PM UTC
    ID: 20939 | #25
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

True. I should take more time to develop the races, but my fantasy story is something I only write when I'm stuck on my cyberpunk stories, lol.

I never write with an audience mind. I write because I have a feeling or an idea that I want to express and I go from there. If someone likes what I write then it's a bonus. Mindhunter was originally a means for me to express my feelings of grief because I just lost my father and the story continued to develop afterwards.

6. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 10:48:29 PM UTC
    ID: 20944 | #26
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

On Feb 11, 2008 1:56 am, Lhunuial said:
    [quote]

Well, I have no elves, lol.

I do have a sort of centaur like race called the Chardeion. They have deerlike bodies and they don't have hair but fur that grows on their heads and backs. Ofcourse they also have antlers growing on their heads, both the male and female Chardeion. [/quote]

Very cool! I like he idea of deer-like centaur.  With antlers too! Awesome.

7. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 11:30:47 PM UTC
    ID: 20947 | #27
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

I'm glad you like the idea. It will probably take a while before the Chardeion make an appearance. Well, let's keep it at that one of them will make appearance. His name is Rhum. I've been trying to draw him, but the fur like hair proves to be..... difficult.

Last edited by Lhunuial on Feb 12, 2008, 9:58:24 PM UTC. 2 total edits.

8. Posted on Feb 14, 2008, 6:45:09 PM UTC
    ID: 20963 | #30
    Level 11
    XP

Hi everyone! It seems it's my turn to introduce now.

1) How about a brief introduction of yourself?

My real name is Nataly Bild (though I’ve shorten my last name to make it more convenient for everybody to pronounce and read).  I live in Russia and sometimes have unusual ideas about the most ordinary things.

2) Fabulous! And what got you into story/novel-writing to begin with?

Hm... The fact is that I have always imagined and invented some adventures. At one moment (I even don't remember when) I began to write so I really can say I have been writing all my life - I'll be only twenty soon. Though there was a sertain period I didn't write and even tried to stop myself as I believed I had no talent. But now I do belive I have it so I try to develop my talent and catch up the time I have missed. Writing is a part of my nature.

3) I see, so what kind of story/novel do you like to write about? Why?

I like fantasy and science fiction most of all so I want to try these genres. Though I wrote a detective and a kind of horror story.

4) What type of characters do you normally have (for the protagonist)?

It seems they are rather cool and strong. But it depends on the story.

5) What is your most popular/largest story/novel project? Describe.

My largest work hasn't a name yet. But "The Book without Title" is the first part of it. I have one more finished novel - it's the detective entitled "The Secret of the Grave in the Mountains". But those who read them both say that "The Book" is more interesting though it's my first novel.

6) What is the story/novel you've written/writing that you are most proud of? Why?

I can't say that I'm very proud of any of my books - I still should edit some things. The main reason is that my English isn't perfect yet and the stories may be rather awkward (so feel youself free to inform me about mistakes). They are better in Russian.

7) Do you find writing easy? Hard? What are the most difficult aspects of writing you struggle with?

It's really a question of mood. There is time when it's very easy to write and I'm pleased with the way I've expressed ideas. But there's also time when I see only bad points.

8) Write a catchy intro on the spot NOW!

The young elf vanishes during the game when he is watched by large audience. Everybody hasn’t any ideas what has happened to him. But his sister’s friend sees a strange thing – a black book. He understands that the book is a clue to the disappearance and he should get it to rescue his friend. But he doesn’t know the book is a prison for the sole of the ancient evil creature…

9) Are there any story cliche that you are just sick of?

I don’t like banal and run-of-the-mill characters and plots.

10) Are you guilty of those cliches that you hate?

I try to get some new ideas… If I’m a success it’s you who should judge but noe me.

11) What would you call your writing style?

My writing style is the way I think and feel...

12) What type of story do you generally read?

I really like different types – historical adventures, sci-fi and fantasy.

13) What's the one thing you have always wanted to write but are too afraid/shy to?

There are quite a lot of them – I have hundreds of ideas... But I’m really planning to write several love stories which are half-true.

14) Do you have trouble taking criticisms?

It depends of the sense of the critique and the fact if the reader has understood me. But I want to know what people really think. But not the things they invent not to hurt my feelings.

15) When you write, is there anything that helps? (Music, food?)

Music helps me greatly. Some records of nature sounds and my favourite bands and singers – the Mill, Hellawes, Den Nazgul, Arda, Aria, Shaman, Temple, Howard Shore, Ennya and musical “Notre Dame de Paris”.

16) What inspires you?

Everything I can see – landscapes, dreams, people, music…

17) Laslty, how do you sum up your writer's career so far?

For me writing is a hobby… and my life.

Last edited by 2425 on Feb 14, 2008, 6:46:00 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.