PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1272 Members

Writer's Circle

1. Posted on Jan 7, 2009, 9:55:07 AM UTC
    ID: 23251 | #41
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

That's something I'm meanign to do when I'm not running around like a headless chicken- read some stories. Problem is I'm so picky nowdays cause of my lack of time T.T

2. Posted on Jan 7, 2009, 11:33:14 PM UTC
    ID: 23259 | #42
    blackwinddragon
    Level 16
    XP

1) How about a brief introduction of yourself?

Me? Name’s Jerri but  online Im probably best known as some variation of blackwinddragon (dA, PD & MR) and mikitsu silverquick (FF.net)

2) Fabulous! And what got you into story/novel-writing to begin with?

I’ve always been into writing since, I don’t know, forever? I think I really started gr. 7/8, but they never got far and never were seen by anyone’s eyes but my own.  It wasn’t until about 2007 I got obsessed with GaaHina and there was so much crappy fics for that pairing that were so OOC and kept reusing the same plotline of the arranged marriage.  It was frustrating, and then I found one that I loved, and it inspirired me to write my own GaaHina fic

3) I see, so what kind of story/novel do you like to write about? Why?

Pretty much anything, but I like for their to be actual human conflict and drama.  Not the cliche preteen drama, but actual pain, sweat and tears drama-drama.  I like to also write the cute little romances, the kind that makes you want to go  “aww, that’s sweet.”  And just because of who I am some thread of comedy is always threaded through what I write.

4) What type of characters do you normally have (for the protagonist)?

Usually, characters that appear to be something they are not; emotionally void when they`re really just lonely, or gruff and harsh when they only want to be affectionate/kind.  You know, that sort of thing.  I lie characters who are at struggle with even themselves.  They also have to be carrying some sort of emotional baggage with them as well.

5) What is your most popular/largest story/novel project? Describe.

There`s only one that really counts – Close Quarters, because I`ve actually written about 15 chapters, and I`m still in the process of writing it, though it`s on hiatus right now.  I have to go back though an make edits to the original because I`ve matured as a writer over the past few years and there`s mistakes that need to be fixed. That and the relationship isn`t progressing fast enough – I realize now that there wasn`t a strong enough base of even friendship before Hinata got shipped over to Suna so as a result of floundering.  ­But basically the plot is the developing relationship between Hinata Hyuuga and Gaara of the Sand after Hinata is sent away from Konoha when a disease is ravaging the Hyuuga clan.  There`s obviously more to it but thats the gist of it.  Theres gonna be mystery, sadness/grief, comedy and hopefully lots of fluff.

6) What is the story/novel you've written/writing that you are most proud of? Why?

Close Quarters – 15 chapters is the most I`ve ever written in my entire life, and Gaara is so impossible to write!  So is Hinata for that matter.

7) Do you find writing easy? Hard? What are the most difficult aspects of writing you struggle with?

I can spin things off like mad sometimes – I love writing English essays – but I sometimes (usually) lack the concentration of will to sit and write.  Once I get into the groove I can stay there for a couple hours easy, if not Im runnign around every 15 minutes doing something else.

8) Write a catchy intro on the spot NOW

`In a galaxy far, far away ...pfft, yeah right. Don`t you hate those kind of stories?  I know I do -- ``Once upon a time`` and all that bull.  That`s not real life.  Those stories always have a happy ending. Good guy wins, bad guys go home and cry about it.  Boy get the girl, girl wants the boy. Yeah, super-sugar-spectacular.  But what happens when the bad guys don`t lose?  What happens when they`re actually winning, and the girl doesn`t want the boy and the boy loses the girl?  Don`t think it can happen?  Well, sorry it does, or, rather, it did. To me. And let me tell you it sucked.  And you probably don`t want to know it or care, but sit back anyways because Im going to tell you anyways.  Why?  Because someone has to remember, and soon, I won`t be able to.

9) Are there any story cliche that you are just sick of?

Romance nowadays is so sappy and cliché, not to mention UNHEALTHY !!!!  The relationships that are being written nowadays just suck for originality.  Also, Im tired of the bad guys losing and the good guy winning and walking away with no problems.

10) Are you guilty of those cliches that you hate?

If you mean occasionally indulging them by reading said clichés then yes, but writing it?  I do try to avoid that.

11) What would you call your writing style?

It reminds me of one of the Tim Horton muffins – the berry explosion or something or other.  See, you have just a good old story that is a little slow, and thoughtful (that would be the muffin part) and then BANG you hit some comedy, some sarcasm, or some fluff (that would be the berry explosion part) that you totally weren`t expecting.

12) What type of story do you generally read?

Usually fantasy; I used to be in the old school medieval styled fantasy and I still enjoy those a lot but Im getting more into urban fantasies like The Mortal Instrument trilogy.  Im usually a sucker for romance as well.  Sci-fi also occasionally is pretty good for me too, but Im pick about it.

13) What's the one thing you have always wanted to write but are too afraid/shy to?

Smut.  Theres a couple of fics that I would love to write involving some more `mature` characters but, yeah, the idea of writing anything even lime flavoured makes me blush.  I think it just something I have to grow out of XP

14) Do you have trouble taking criticisms?

Nope, I like them actually. I cant know if Im doing something not right if nobody tells me about it.  And its good to get called out once and a while; makes you humble.

15) When you write, is there anything that helps? (Music, food?)

I have to listen to music no matter what I`m doing.  As much as I enjoy the clack-clack of the the keyboard I need tunage when Im writing, drawing or even doing something as mundane as the dishes.  So, yes, I listen to music when I write.  What I listen to varies – it depends on what I want to hear and what mood I`m trying to get into.  I have a couple of stations on meemix.com that really helps because since it`s radio station it has a gazillion artists so I can listen to a style of music and not have to keep listening to the some songs/artists and, as a result, get sick of them.  And I try not to eat at the computer, so that a no on the food, though I do take snakc breaks, and there`s usualy some kind of drink around.

16) What inspires you?

Okay the condensed list includes; music; art (original and fanart); my mood, drawing; reading poems, orignal prose, and fanfiction; being at my job; writing, and knitting.

17) Laslty, how do you sum up your writer's career so far

It hasn`t really gotten too far yet, so I should say it`s still progressing with some hope of gaining some speed.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way .... I could really use help finding myself a beta for Close Quarters and any other possible stories that may come up.  Is anybody willing to volunteer or can suggest a good beta that's available?  Basically all you would be doing would be someone to bounce ideas off should I get stuck and someone to double check for silly grammatericaland spelling errors and possible bouts of OCness (seeing as CQ is a fanfic for the Naruto-verse pairing GaaHina).

Last edited by blackwinddragon on Jan 8, 2009, 12:05:08 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

3. Posted on Jan 8, 2009, 11:35:53 PM UTC
    ID: 23273 | #45
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

On Jan 8, 2009 3:24 pm, blackwinddragon said:
    [quote]

Agreed, one in particular is annoying the crud out of me *cough*Twilight*cough*

[/quote]

I was wondering when that'd creep into this forum XD

4. Posted on Jan 9, 2009, 1:32:40 AM UTC
    ID: 23275 | #46
    blackwinddragon
    Level 16
    XP

On Jan 8, 2009 3:35 pm, arkillian said:
    [quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Had to eventually, given it's popularity.  But now that it's been mentioned once when can hopefully move past it.

5. Posted on Jan 9, 2009, 3:45:12 AM UTC
    ID: 23278 | #47
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

On Jan 8, 2009 5:32 pm, blackwinddragon said:
    [quote]

[quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Had to eventually, given it's popularity.  But now that it's been mentioned once when can hopefully move past it.

[/quote]

Lol- burn ^^ I'm unopinionated about it as yet. I don't like that the vamps aren't vamps, but I give benifit of the doubt till I see it now days. I would've missed out on ALOT of stuff if I didn't give it a go.

6. Posted on Jan 9, 2009, 4:03:36 AM UTC
    ID: 23280 | #48
    blackwinddragon
    Level 16
    XP

On Jan 8, 2009 7:45 pm, arkillian said:
    [quote]

On Jan 8, 2009 5:32 pm, blackwinddragon said:
    [quote]

[quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol- burn ^^ I'm unopinionated about it as yet. I don't like that the vamps aren't vamps, but I give benifit of the doubt till I see it now days. I would've missed out on ALOT of stuff if I didn't give it a go.

[/quote]

Oh the vamps are vamps -- they just happen to glitter instead of turn to dust XD  And I used to love it actually, but the stupid n00bs that are infilitrating the fandom is maddening.  Even when I finished it I knew that there was definite weakness with the characters and plot -- as R Pattz said, more or less,  "it's basically Meyer's fantasy ... kind of creepy" -- but I still enjoyed it for certain moments that were in the books.  Jacob Black was the only real reason, I think, that I enjoyed them as much as I did because I could not stand Bella when reading the book or afterwards.  And if you ever decide to read the books avoid Breaking Dawn (the concluding volume) you're not gonna miss ANYTHING ... you'll only be disappointed if you read.  At least I know a heck of a lot of fans were at least.

7. Posted on Jan 24, 2009, 3:12:20 AM UTC
    ID: 23423 | #49
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

Sarcastic apologies to any Twilight fans but I have finally come to understand one thing to be absolutley true about Twilight.   It is sh*t.  Sh*it with good PR.  Think Paris Hilton.

8. Posted on Jan 24, 2009, 10:16:01 AM UTC
    ID: 23426 | #50
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

Yeah, it's crap with good PR. But it does inspire me to keep on writing, because I definitely want to publish something that is better than that.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.