PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Post 20928 - Writer's Circle

1. Posted on Feb 11, 2008, 3:25:50 AM UTC
    ID: 20928
    Sliverbane

The Legolas fanjerks ( Not all of them are...just some) have got to get out more (read more books)  There are many elves that far exceed Legolas in character development, looks and charm.  Take Aravan - a stunning dark haired elf of Dennis McKiernan's Mithgar saga.  He's...just damn cool.  Legolas pales in comparison. 

I wanted to start a dialogue with the members of the Writers Circle about their lore.  What have you put together to make your world different.  We often talk about what bores us?  Well what entices you - and have to incorporated those aspects in to your own story writing some way?

:evil: I have delt with the elves in my own story (Tales of Trugan)  by killing them off.  They are a dead race.  And...I only hint to the possible existance of Dark Elves.  No dwarves.  But I do bring in some other mythical beings: Unicorns, minotaur or Bohvun as I call them, Centaurs and some comfortable familiars like: fea folk, spites, fearies, trolls, ogres, drakes, dragons, chimera, basilisk, gorgons, nagas and even a djinn or two.  On top of my new races like Havoc demons, Pleasure gorgons and Elundri.  I'm still debating on vampires.  They wouldn't be undead.  They would be living creatures - no cursed angsty souls, simply a biological need for the blood of others. 

Some of the creatures I listed above don't get enough screen time in my opinion.  I can't tell you guys how much I crave a well done centaur.  I eat it up when they appear in the Harry Potter movies.  I love minotaur's and not the brutish fighting berserkers as portrayed in the Narnia movies....I opt for a peaceful and wise race - a lot like their bovine cousins, simple. 

Unicorns in my world are not some pretty white  Lipizanner stallion/mare, but more like the Chinese Ki-Rin.  Goat like, cloven hoofed, tufted tail, iredecent scales, beautiful twisting horn.  In Trugan there are difference species of Unicorn.  Some are deer like with large eyes and a short fluffly tail, and the rarest are the equine that resemple a stepp horse of east Asia.  Short mane, stocky and roaming in large heards on the edge of the world.  And I also include that the Narwhale is also a unicorn of sorts ( in the mythical sense - they are sentient) long adapted to the seas...  Why not...their horns were passed off to European royalty as 'unicorn horns' :)

I like taking the same 'ol myths and legends and working out an alternative that readers can enjoy. Anybody else working on the same or have ideas they'd like to share?