Open group | 1276 Members

OC Player Notes: What to Include

1. Posted on Mar 3, 2024, 3:48:27 PM UTC
    ID: 46735 | #1
    Fordandra
    Level 40 MODJR
    XP

Hi everyone!

I have been attempting to re-format my various characters' Player Notes, to increase their legibility and usefulness to potential collaborators. I am super curious to see how others have formatted theirs, and how much information people have added over time, outside of what is required for their character.

Here is a reminder of what the current Character Creator requires people to fill out:

Character Full Name: (name goes here)

Character Age: (age goes here)

Character Species: (human, elf, paper demon, custom species, etc)

Hair color: (if applicable)

Eye color: (if applicable)

---

Brief biography: (Required for written works. Artists may skip until rank 2): (100 words biography of your character)

---

Description: (Required for written works only): (100 words describing your character's appearance.)

What is the most important thing, to you, for others to know about your character? What do you wish others would include in theirs? As a writer? As an artist?

Do you put absolutely everything about them, or leave it more open-ended? Do you include 'depiction tips', their combat stats, their personality and likes/dislikes? Their fears? Etc. 

I'm super curious!

— Ford

Last edited by Fordandra on Mar 3, 2024, 3:57:42 PM UTC. 4 total edits.

2. Posted on Mar 4, 2024, 2:47:13 AM UTC
    ID: 46755 | #3
    Fordandra
    Level 40 MODJR
    XP

On Sun, 03 Mar 2024 23:12:51 GMT, BogusRed said in post id 46736:

Ive seen people include a full body reference sheet. I find this really helpful.

Of definitely! As for writers, I really enjoy a highly detailed descrption, especially as it pertains to their outfit/style.

Among my old role-playing groups, I often saw the use of face claims, which I've found the most useful.

3. Posted on Mar 4, 2024, 2:48:54 AM UTC
    ID: 46756 | #4
    Fordandra
    Level 40 MODJR
    XP

This has been the latest draft of my character sheet Player Notes, including a modified layout to hopefully direct the eye

Character Full Name: (name goes here)

Character Age: (age goes here)

Character Species: (human, elf, paper demon, custom species, etc)

Hair color: (if applicable)

Eye color: (if applicable)

Height: (feet/inches as well as cm)

Personality:

[summary of Personality here]

Loves:

Hates:

Fears:

Biography:

[Biography here]

Description: 

[Written Decription here, including outfit details and general disposition]

[link to full body reference]

[link to Talisman]

[link to forged Armor/Weopons if applicable]

[etc.]

Last edited by Fordandra on Mar 4, 2024, 2:50:29 AM UTC. 2 total edits.

4. Posted on Mar 11, 2024, 1:37:06 PM UTC
    ID: 46864 | #5
    Sii1ver
    Level 22
    XP

I like adding a quick stat bar for my character for generic RPG style areas [Strength, Speed, Magic, Defense] to give people a quick look for battle art.

5. Posted on Mar 20, 2024, 4:05:21 AM UTC
    ID: 47054 | #6
    ArtBeedle
    Level 77
    XP

I've just started re formatting my pages for each of my characters, including adding a relationships section that links back to other folks characters, quotes as a tool for writers to get an idea of how a charater might speak, alternate outfits, voice headcanons, and instrument audio examples (if applicable).

((thanks for linking me here Ford!))

6. Posted on Mar 22, 2024, 5:07:22 PM UTC
    ID: 47126 | #8
    seepran
    Level 126
    XP

Rambling about stuff and things? Don't mind if I do!

I don't personally really deviate much from the required information. I might not have anything more, or I just don't feel like it's necessary. I basically only add height, a fullbody reference link, and a Toyhouse profile link (if the latter two exist, that is). I use player notes to showcase the character's basics - for the rest that goes deeper, if there is any of that, I use Toyhouse. It gives me more freedom to make things look nice, and shove in as much or as little as I want or have. Since I really like coding with HTML and CSS, the editor we have in PD is simply too restrictive for my needs. It doesn't let me do what I want for multiple reasons, but mostly because it culls some specific styling out of the code completely once it's saved. 😔 I also might have a lot of text, and player notes don't feel like the place for a novel's worth of biography (not that my character bios aren't long by default already but that's besides the point...). But that's just how I see it.

I have fully coded player notes only for Caspian and Kyy so far, but my goal is to have something slightly unique for all of my characters at some point. With only the basics down, I go very simple with just a tiny bit of styling and padding.

Last edited by seepran on Mar 22, 2024, 5:08:28 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

Quick Reply

Please login to post to the forums...

Login