Portraits, Paintings, and Illustrations
    Tonal Studies
    Sketchbook

Red Curtain Artwork "Type" galleries:
    Figure Drawing
    Major Projects
    Tonal Studies
    Sketchbook

Either people don't use them for searching for artwork or they put their artwork in the wrong place. I'm considering just deleting them. What do you think? Of course this would eliminate the "Sketchbook" section which is popular but we could move that to someplace else such as Genre or something. People already can post by Genre and Fanart so what's the point of the sorting by type?

With the exception of the Sketchbook section, I really created this "type" categorization for my own work. Since this site is going more towards the direction of fanart and anime art, I am considering just taking this whole "Type" categorization out. No one really uses it.

What if we treated "Sketch Book" like Scraps on DA? That's what I was originally intending to do with it but I don't know. What do you guys think? If that's the case, if you upload something as a "Sketch Book" entry, it won't get placed in the fanart sections or anything because it will ONLY be in the sketch book section. Ugh, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
  2. Posted on May 22, 2005, 2:07:28 PM UTC
    ID: 430 | #2
    angiemation
    Level 3
    XP
    If you want to add a 'Scraps' section then please don't call it 'Scraps'.XD;; It's a horrible name. Even if the artowrks have only had a few minuets of imput it's still something and some are very detailed. 'Sketch Book' sounds better. I'd be happy to post some of my very old drawings to show how my style has changed in the 'Sketch Book' section.

That's another thing, I like the check list that pops up when we upload works so we can post them into various catagories but I think, like you said, people might be putting some works in the wrong sections. I don't think there's any way to prevent this, DA suffers a lot from this too. It just might mean you have to check through eveyrones galleries and move things...but that's unfair on you...there has to be someway of making usre poeple don't make too many mistakes when they upload their works. *Ponders*

Cya!

Angie^-^v
  3. Posted on May 22, 2005, 4:17:02 PM UTC
    ID: 431 | #3
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP
    The only reason why I suggested a sketchbook section was because I thought you may not want all my unfinished work in with my more complete submissions. However, seeing as how the other 'type' galleries are being overlooked - do what you have to do. :D
  4. Posted on May 22, 2005, 5:53:54 PM UTC
    ID: 432 | #4
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP
    Alright I'm leaning towards having the sketchbook be like the scraps. All sketchbook entries only go in sketchbook and don't get put in any other galleries. How does that sound to you guys and the other members?

:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: ?
  5. Posted on May 22, 2005, 7:01:55 PM UTC
    ID: 433 | #5
    EvilBunnySlippers
    Level 37 BETA
    XP
    I think it is a good idea to have 2 kinds of work reguarding those types of galeries: Finished work and a sketchbook. While it is nice to have all those options of where to place you work it probably does get confusing. If you just have the sketchbook and the finished work, people can write whether it is a Figure Drawing, Major Project, Illustration etc. right in their description of the finished work and it would not be commited to a particular type of gallery.

Also in reguards to the fanart, original drawing, fantasy etc. galeries I think it would be a good idea to have the option of finished art or sketchbook, but whether or not you place it in either of those have the categories remain the same.

For example, if you had a finished picture of Vegeta, you would put it under Finished art and DBZ fanart and only other finished DBZ fanart works would be in that gallery. On the other hand if you had a sketch of Vegeta, you would place it under sketchbook and DBZ and only other sketches of DBZ artwork would be in that gallery. This would make it easy for people looking through the sketches to view the particular genra they want.

There's my humble opinion, but end the end do what you think is best. :)

I give the finished art/sketch art a :thumbsup:
  6. Posted on May 22, 2005, 11:09:43 PM UTC
    ID: 435 | #6
    BamboozledByAnime
    Level 22
    XP
    I don't know about you other guys, but when I think of "Sketch" I think of a drawing done in pencil, and is or isn't finished. Some works can also be a sketch as in, a rough sskecth of something, not like fantastic drawing, but like a basic design. There SHOULD be a finished artwork section, but could have from the fanart is. Maybe there could be a pencil drawn section of finished work, or maybe a section with colored fan art work that's finished. meh, I dunno :/ lol. decisions decisions decisions.... :question:
  7. Posted on May 23, 2005, 12:29:49 AM UTC
    ID: 436 | #7
    MissezNoll
    Level 129
    XP
    I'm not really sure, but, all my drawings are done in my sketchbook. It's the best paper for drawing, if you ask me. It's where I start and finish a drawing. It's where I put the ink and colors to my pics. I'm usually never sure what to mark on that part, so, I just mark "sketchbook" because that's where the art is drawn. I hope that doesn't sound stupid. I think alot of the options do confuse alot of people. Especially those who aren't too familiar with the different art terms.
  8. Posted on May 23, 2005, 3:33:35 AM UTC
    ID: 440 | #8
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP
    Ok, EBS's suggestion of separating everything so that when you view the DBZ section you only see the finished work and then when you view DBZ sketchbook you only see sketchbook stuff is too complicated and would require far to much work. Unless I created an artwork search feature similar to the BETA writing search. In that case, how about we change the type galleries to be as follows:
    -Sketchbook
    -Work in Progress
    -Finished Work

If I created an artwork search similar to the BETA writing search thing, then people can choose to look at all of the Finished DBZ and sketchbook DBZ stuff separately. Maybe the default would be view all and then they could select from a drop down menu what they want to see and sort by. How does that sound?

I like the sound of these better. What say you all? BTW, thank you all for your input on this.

I may be able to implement this search method on wednesday, but not before. It will take a lot of time because it is such a different sorting method than I've had in the past. But I was always intending to create that type of search but never got around to it. There was never enough artwork in the galleries before anyway but I think it's getting big enough to have it available. If you are totally confused about this writing BETA search I've been talking about, here's the link:
    http://www.bogusred.net/story_advlist.php

Alright, let me know what you think because I want to start changing the "Type" galleries as soon as possible. By the way, can anyone think of a better name than "Type?" It sounds so... generic. Maybe Project type or something completely different, i dunno...
    (Sorry, I'm in a bit of a pissy mood. My film is due in two days :doh: )

EDIT: Also, if any of you have suggestions for additions to the Type section. I don't want too many because like Lady Anime79 said, we don't want to confuse anyone with too many options.

Last edited by BogusRed on May 23, 2005, 3:48:44 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

9. Posted on May 23, 2005, 8:47:24 AM UTC
    ID: 448 | #9
    EvilBunnySlippers
    Level 37 BETA
    XP
    On May 22, 2005 6:33 pm, BogusRed said:
    Unless I created an artwork search feature similar to the BETA writing search. In that case, how about we change the type galleries to be as follows:
    -Sketchbook
    -Work in Progress
    -Finished Work

If I created an artwork search similar to the BETA writing search thing, then people can choose to look at all of the Finished DBZ and sketchbook DBZ stuff separately. Maybe the default would be view all and then they could select from a drop down menu what they want to see and sort by. How does that sound?

I like the sound of these better. What say you all?

Sounds great to me! :D

Alright, let me know what you think because I want to start changing the "Type" galleries as soon as possible. By the way, can anyone think of a better name than "Type?" It sounds so... generic. Maybe Project type or something completely different, i dunno...

Instead of "type" here are a few words that might work better: Project; category, categorization, classification, description, composition, subsection, selection, section, specification

(Sorry, I'm in a bit of a pissy mood. My film is due in two days :doh: )

Don't worry, I had all my finals/final papers due last week and I pity those poor unfortunate souls who were caught in my path as I got everything done at the last second! :wacko: Ask anyone, when final project deadlines are looming over your head you have the absolute right to be in a pissy mood :wink: Good luck with your film btw! :)
  10. Posted on May 23, 2005, 5:14:21 PM UTC
    ID: 449 | #10
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP
    On May 22, 2005 11:47 pm, EvilBunnySlippers said:

Instead of "type" here are a few words that might work better: Project; category, categorization, classification, description, composition, subsection, selection, section, specification

Actually I wanted something more specific that related to the categories of Sketch book, work in progress, and finished work. So maybe something like Project Status but that sounds kind of ugly and boring.

Thank you EBS. I really appreciate your feedback and that of the other members. Today is crunch time. My film is due tomorrow :doh: So as much as I'd like to get started on these changes, it will have to wait. I'll post my finished film tonight if I get the chance.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.