PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

C'mon gimme something to work with.

1. Posted on Apr 11, 2009, 7:10:33 PM UTC
    ID: 24193 | #1
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

First: This is a personal observation.  I am not pointing out any one individual.  I am making suggestions based on my opinion.  Don't like it.  Fine.  DO NOT take it personally.

Take in to account my search was for Original Fiction, Fantasy, Series.  I got my results and proceeded to search.
    I was looking for something that would catch my eye.  Taking in to account other derivatives like Romance, Action, Horror, etc. 

I noticed that a lot of submissions have little or no relevant description to entice me to click further.

What gives?

Bad Example:  This is story about my favorite OC Bob.  So what! :nosmile: 

Why would I click on that story?  What's his deal?  Make me care about BOB!! 

Bad Example: 'This is about John and Marsha'   And?

Bad Example: Typing the Gallery sections your story belongs to.   I can SEE that already.

Bad Example: Just posting a link to another web site where you story is posted.  Ugh! :no:

Bad Example: Telling me you wrote it last week and your characters are copyrighted does not draw me in, either. :doh: 

The date when you wrote/finished the story isn't the problem - It just doesn't get me interested in clicking the link to the writing.

If you have multiple chapters give them a tiny snippet of what's going on.  I've been drawn to a story solely because later chapter had a provocative title and description!  I said to myself 'Oooo! What? I have to read about this!' 

Haven't you ever read the back or inside cover of a book to get an idea of what the book is about?  I do all the time.  Those little decriptions beneath the submission are like teasers to attract a reader.  Make YOURS  something interesting, informative and to the point! :heart:

Anyhow...that's my two cents.  Just look'n for a good story, that's all.  ^.^;;

2. Posted on Apr 12, 2009, 1:25:30 AM UTC
    ID: 24195 | #2
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

A lot of people don't put in the extra few minutes of thought to give enticing or descriptive summaries. I agree with your observations.

3. Posted on Apr 15, 2009, 1:23:30 AM UTC
    ID: 24206 | #3
    heartrate-monitor
    Level 7
    XP

I'm guilty of this, but for most of my stories I don't want anything descriptive or enticing because some stories I just show my friends and no one else- unless they stumble on it.

My personal opinion is that if one can't write a good summary, people won't be able to believe you can write a good story either. 

One day I'll do a story people would want to read. My summary will be good then. XD

4. Posted on Apr 15, 2009, 10:57:57 PM UTC
    ID: 24216 | #4
    blackwinddragon
    Level 16
    XP

I haven't really noticed that here that much, but that's mainly because I dont really read much original fiction here or elsewhere.  BUT, I do notice it a great big deal over at ff.net.  The kiddies are really bad for that.  I'm sure part of it the result of learning, there's really no teachers on the proper ettiquete on posting fiction via the web -- and if you see other people do it then it must be okay!!  When they start broadening their horizons then they learn that having an interesting intro is vital.

Or I could be mean and say that the cruddy, uninteresting intro reflect the entire body of work -- which is sometimes true but not always.

5. Posted on Apr 17, 2009, 2:31:54 PM UTC
    ID: 24225 | #5
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

On Apr 14, 2009 6:23 pm, heartrate-monitor said:
    [quote]

I'm guilty of this, but for most of my stories I don't want anything descriptive or enticing because some stories I just show my friends and no one else- unless they stumble on it.

My personal opinion is that if one can't write a good summary, people won't be able to believe you can write a good story either. 

One day I'll do a story people would want to read. My summary will be good then. XD

[/quote]

Totally understand!  My first audience was/is my friends and family, but many of them don't read Fantasy so I came up with descriptive ways to pique their interest.

Often  coming up with a description/teaser helps simplify the story and puts you on the outside looking in.  I see things I didn't before.  Sometimes good and sometimes bad.  Also it let's me fantasize how it might look on the back cover of a novel.  :redface:

Lastly, a decription often tells me a lot about what the author thinks of their own work.  I see a lot of affection in well thought out teasers. Even if the decription describes a story that may not entirely interest me I note and appreciate the care taken to make it! And many times it makes me click on that link to read the story.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.