Open group | 1285 Members

Mary Sue's- what are they?

1. Posted on Jul 8, 2007, 11:21:56 PM UTC
    ID: 17852 | #1
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

Mary Sues

This is a term that's been thrown around alot around me for the last few years and how terrible they are. I thought today that I'd google it, and I found this 'Universal Mary Sue Litmus Test'  , and thought I'd try it with my characters. The test kind of shocked me

1- if you have an ugly average character, they can't be a Mary Sue.

2- If they're beatuiful, they have to be door mats to not be Sues

3- If they're beautiful and a lead character, they're guarranteed Sues.

Now, My three top leads are Arkillian Dragon men- they're defenders of a world and command the use of magic and sword play to protect the world from invaders for a very good reson. I also have a very good reason that they're attractive. It also happened that Alex has the same colour hair and eyes I was born with.

It's a family of Sues apparently.

Now- people. Tell me. Is this totally crazy? I always thought Mary Sues were the writer idealising themselves into a character that had everything, in which case, may character Julia is a Sue- but she is so NOT

Oh, and Bryan being a prince with exotic eyes and an angsty background is so far Sue that he needs a rewrite.

Lets be real about his- your honest opnion.

What is a Mary Sue to you?

And are they bad? I think People are moaning and whimpering about bad fiction but is it really that bad?

2. Posted on Jul 9, 2007, 3:58:27 AM UTC
    ID: 17855 | #3
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

I''ve heard of the term and your first definition is the same that I heard.

In one instance I heard of a fan-fic in witch the 'Mary-Sue' character tried to get Legolas to become christian because she somehow new better than he about the ways of the universe and all that. 

I don't think your characters are 'mary-sue' ish.  Did someone tell you that?  They're wrong.  I thought the term described some 'self-righteous' heroine that could do no wrong.

Even if you created a character after yourself - how could anyone know it is a foil of you?  I really thought this applied to fan-fics only.

*Edit* I mean one of my male characters is suppoed to be a lecherous seducer with perfect looks, body and witty personality. It's his nature to be attractive and aticulate.  How the hell does that make him a  'marysue' ish character. 

I think you're right about the whiners.  I make my stories about moderaley attractive and interesting people.  When they're not human I make them ideal to their species.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's kinda a universal thing.

*2nd Edit*

I read a bit of this test for 'all characters'  Some of the things mentioned tend to be things I avoid in stories.  Not because it's nessessarily bad ( Japanese names for non-Japanese characters is a pet peeve of mine) But because of my taste in fantasy liturature I find some of the mentioned things ( Common names spelled different, characters who in my opinion are flat and boring but are sooo beautiful the author won't shut-up about it) are just boring.

Some of my characters would be considered very beautiful, but they're not human.  And some - it's their nature to be ideal by human standards.  But my human characters are fair by comparison, but no less interesting.

I incorporate my political and religious (or lack thereof) position in all my work.  I try to work those ideals in and spread them out in my cast.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I read a book ages ago by a lesbian author 'Gossamer Axe'and one line explaned her feelings on homosexuality.  The setting is pre-christian british isle's and one of her characters points out 'two men or two women loving each other wasn't a sin until christians said it was' . Another called book series 'Mystic Rebel' offered up a scene in withc a tibetan Llama is making a speech in modern day America about how over sterilization and medicating is killing modern man. These authors may be expressing their ideals - and I don't think they're 'mary-sue' ish.

I also think a lot of what is mentioned in this so-called quiz are merely 'cliche' and over-used plot points that many readers are tired of seeing.  And using some of those aspects can be tricky with such a fickle audience.  Once again it's not 'bad' but it can be repetative and boring.

And if I have read this quiz correctly there are some very well accomplished and published authors who break these so called rules over and over.

So in conlcusion some of the things mentioned are just annoying (in my personal opinion) while other points made in the quiz I think are total bullshit.

Last edited by Sliverbane on Jul 9, 2007, 4:20:53 AM UTC. 2 total edits.

3. Posted on Jul 9, 2007, 9:32:05 PM UTC
    ID: 17862 | #5
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

Thanks Silverbane :) Being a domanently fanf fic thing makes alot of sence- to me, if an origanal character can justify something, then it's ok (although stupid justifications suck bad) and I can see where it comes from which is why I worry. Alot of the questions are stuff that when poorly played irks me- I guess you need to play it right if you have a Mary Sue :)

Lily- I had a look at that origanally. It's how I found out abotu the test. The wikipedia definition is very wishy washy after taking the test- like it's incomplete. Mary Sues feels very subjective to me.

4. Posted on Jul 10, 2007, 8:59:09 PM UTC
    ID: 17868 | #6
    Nekoyoujo
    Level 21
    XP

All my characters are somewhat broader line mary-sue if you go strict on the standers of what one is. Oh, and male is "Gary Stu". Let's not forget that.

They're all "I save the day" and all that. What a Sue is ,is it's a PERFECT character. There are different verison of it too. Pergnate all the time, beautiful with no flaws, all that good stuff. I don't agree with the Sue always having bliud hair and blue eyes, however. In a roleplay ,fanfic or whatever any character can have that via the creator's choose. That doesn't make it a Sue without a doubt.

The perfect character that's the head of the story all the time ,is the Sue, regraudless or colors.

5. Posted on Jul 10, 2007, 9:11:28 PM UTC
    ID: 17869 | #7
    Jilly
    Level 115
    XP

I always figured that the term "Mary Sue" referred to someone who's not very interesting at all and is just there and overlooked a lot. Apparently I was wrong o.O

6. Posted on Jul 10, 2007, 9:35:42 PM UTC
    ID: 17870 | #8
    Nekoyoujo
    Level 21
    XP

Ok, I tried to take that quiz thing ,and as i thought, i can't. I havw 23 (or more bby now) characters, and they all have at least 5 things that whole quiz. Some of my characters are human and some of them aren't, so some of them have special traits and all.

7. Posted on Aug 13, 2007, 8:09:17 PM UTC
    ID: 18586 | #9
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

Pfff, what is a Mary Sue to me?

A character that is supposed to be gorgeous, perfect and gets all the guys. Yep, that quite sums it all up for me. She's either the one who saves the day or the damsel in distress, it can go both ways.

I'm always afraid my original characters turn out to be Mary Sue's, but when it comes to the main character in my cyberpunk story I don't think she is. I suppose you'll have to read the story for yourself to form an opinion on that.

8. Posted on Aug 21, 2007, 2:44:45 AM UTC
    ID: 18784 | #10
    Azysk
    Level 1
    XP

A Mary-Sue, or Gary-Stu, is more for fanfiction but the same philosophy can be transferred to original fiction as well. Personally, I thought that Eragon's protagonist was a Gary-Stu, the average boy who lives on a farm discovers something incredible and then people die and he has to eventually save the world.

While I haven't used the test you showed, I think I'll look at it later. I typically use this test. It's more of a guideline really, it can point out things that may take away from your character's appeal to the reader. Some characters can be a Mary-Sue or Gary-Stu and people won't mind at all, it's made up for with a good plot and is just well written in general. A character that is not considered a Mary-Sue may annoy everyone because of a bad plot and how poorly its written. It can go both ways.

To me a Mary-Sue is a cliche character. Their appearance doesn't matter as much to me as their personality. If they're 'average,' seemingly normal then they're well on their way to Sue-dom. Your classic hero or heroine's personality basically annoys me.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.