PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1286 Members

Grill Me

1. Posted on Aug 9, 2006, 4:52:15 AM UTC
    ID: 11498 | #1
    PsychoKittyNet
    Level 24
    XP
    Basicly I am asking a favor. Lately I have not done much writing, ive posted some of my old work but thats about it.  Every time I write something, I hate it. Its never good enough for me, I can never correct my flaws and I am disapointed. The problem also bein that while I do get a few reveiws over at FFnet, its always "LIEK OMG! PLZ WRTE MRE!!!!1111oneone..." I like this site because people here are honest and intellegent and wont just tell me what I want to hear. This also may be my last fanfic, particularly if it is decided my writing really isent getting any better. So my favor is this, grill me, cover me in BBQ sauce throw me on a bun with all the trimings and serve me with a side of fries. Tell me what im doing good but I REALLY want to know what I am doing wrong. The one im doing now (KOTORL Auroras Story) is the first one I thought was actually kind of decent, but I felt it could be longer, more discript. Eather way, Im basicly giving you permission to flame the hell out of me. (Braces for impact) DO IT! I CAN TAKE IT!
  2. Posted on Aug 9, 2006, 5:05:04 AM UTC
    ID: 11500 | #2
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP
    If you could supply a link to the said story I'd be happy to give it a try. The problem is writing isn't as black and white as art- it's grey. Not alot of people comment on it so it's hard for some people to accept crit even if they want it. Link it though and I'll try my best.
  3. Posted on Aug 9, 2006, 6:42:06 AM UTC
    ID: 11502 | #4
    emmet849
    Level 23
    XP

Do you want concrit for all of your work or just this individual piece?  I'm not familiar with the fandoms that you write about, so it would be difficult for me to understand the plot (I assume anyway), but I have read your political satire piece. 

I guess overall I would ask, do you enjoy writing?  If you enjoy it, you should continue it.  Reviews are nice, but we can't always get what we want out of them.  Have you considered working with a beta?  From experience, it has been helpful, plus she kicks my butt until I get things right.  I can totally relate to you about wanting concrit.  Praise is nice, but it's not very helpful.  This sounds like a debate going on in the forums at MM.

I guess I feel it would be a shame if you stopped writing, but you have to do what you feel is best for you.

4. Posted on Aug 10, 2006, 12:10:04 AM UTC
    ID: 11520 | #7
    PsychoKittyNet
    Level 24
    XP
    "

Well, you wanted the harsh crit, so I'll start at the start.

The start of it was too abrupt for me, but I know nothing of KOTOR- heck, i didn't know that abreviation till then. It looked like something I'd expect when I got to know Aurora beter. The storyline has alot of merit, but I don't feel Sith in the writing. It's a little hard to explain... Actions speak louder ther words sometimes, but in a story, its beter to show minor emotions and stuff to bring out the personality. Image what she would do if you were in her body, hearing her thoughs, moving her movements. She does alot of standing around talking tough if you don't put reactions in. Also pacing. The shorter the sentance, the faster it reads. You have alot of long sentances, and it reads slow. Changing sentance length makes it interestign. Give all new speekers a new line, new paragraphs are indented in

http://www.paperdemon.com/storyview.php/id/879.html
    This is one of my excerpts- it's not a complete story, it's me writing a concept down. It's mostly the part AFTER the creatures attack in this that is key- quick words like immediatly, and suddenly, and short/simple sentances give action, and longer ones suggest a wait, or slower. Also note Alex's personality change. Admittedly, alot of his emotions are visual in his flame in this, but you can tell he's hostile. If someone uses force lighting on another, there is a reaction from both parties- the caster (grinning, or angery etc..) and the reciever (frieghtened, brave). This is shown in expression and movements.

Ahhh- if any of this doesn't make sence, ask? I'm losing my train of thought- a bit sick ^^; Heheh..."

Well, if this is "harsh" its the most marshmellowy harsh critique of any sort I have ever received. But I liked it, you gave me EXACTLY what I wanted. Now to answer a few questions about KOTOR, its a video game thats set about 4000 Years BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin). What im doing is an AU, as you can tell and what I did was add my character, (Who if I continue after this will probably pop up in my other fics) and shes basicly trying to reconnect with Revan, her childhood freind. Now, mind you I am taking some liberties with the story (Malak doesent know Revan is alive until later, but for story purposes he is aware) The one big thing im worried about is how im Devoloping Flower Aurora. Ive had problems with people "feeling" for my characters before, and im trying to put some emotion into her. Malak was pretty easy, since his choice in a situation is the one that involves the most violence, but not so much as Bandon.  Anyways, you said the storyline has merit right? What am I doing right (Youve given me a good idea on what to fix, thanks!) so I know to add more of that. I think I get what you mean by the sentances though, but most of this was meant to be Flower "remembering" things, I understand what you mean. Thanks alot, I appreciate it.

Emmet, I do enjoy writing, it just gets fustrating when you write something you think is good, and theres no one to enjoy it, know what I mean? Anyways, what did you think of my political satire? I wrote that awile back but I would like to hear an opinion.

5. Posted on Aug 10, 2006, 12:34:04 AM UTC
    ID: 11521 | #8
    emmet849
    Level 23
    XP
    Where would you prefer I tell you?  In this forum, as a review, or PM?  I was going to leave you a review, but I hesitated when I saw that you had asked for candy coated responces.  I don't have anything particulartly harsh to say, but to me, candy coated involves the kind of reviews that you were complaining about. 
  6. Posted on Aug 10, 2006, 3:56:08 AM UTC
    ID: 11526 | #9
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP
    On Aug 9, 2006 5:10 pm, Psycho Kitty Net said:
    [quote]

Well, if this is "harsh" its the most marshmellowy harsh critique of any sort I have ever received. But I liked it, you gave me EXACTLY what I wanted. Now to answer a few questions about KOTOR, its a video game thats set about 4000 Years BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin). What im doing is an AU, as you can tell and what I did was add my character, (Who if I continue after this will probably pop up in my other fics) and shes basicly trying to reconnect with Revan, her childhood freind. Now, mind you I am taking some liberties with the story (Malak doesent know Revan is alive until later, but for story purposes he is aware) The one big thing im worried about is how im Devoloping Flower Aurora. Ive had problems with people "feeling" for my characters before, and im trying to put some emotion into her. Malak was pretty easy, since his choice in a situation is the one that involves the most violence, but not so much as Bandon.  Anyways, you said the storyline has merit right? What am I doing right (Youve given me a good idea on what to fix, thanks!) so I know to add more of that. I think I get what you mean by the sentances though, but most of this was meant to be Flower "remembering" things, I understand what you mean. Thanks alot, I appreciate it.

[/quote]

Firstly- I agree with Emmet- if you want crit that is potentially negative- select it and take the good with the bad. As for mine, a story should cater for everyone- people that know the game or not, so back story is essential. Even if you have a Preface at the beginning that states the past for non fans and stuff. I have a pokemon fic which was based at a certain point in the tv series when I first started writing and I stated exactly where the characters stood in the time line. Expecially since my predictions of the series were wrong ( XD ).

Also- me saying it was harsh- I can't tell when I post how someone will react to something. I've posted COMPLIMENTS that get taken as insults here and at DA, so I state that it's not ment to be harsh now. See, my thing is I can't do feel good comments. I can only state truths and if I see mostly stuff that can be improved, I wont focus on the effort.  Sometimes this comes out, and I can't help it.

In future, I think you're best to label  your storys as 'roast', and maybe leave a forum thing to get it attention. Candy coat is nice stuff only. That's why you aren't getting crit

Last edited by ArkillianDragon on Aug 10, 2006, 3:56:58 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

7. Posted on Aug 10, 2006, 4:38:18 AM UTC
    ID: 11528 | #10
    PsychoKittyNet
    Level 24
    XP

On Aug 9, 2006 5:34 pm, emmet849 said:

Where would you prefer I tell you?  In this forum, as a review, or PM?  I was going to leave you a review, but I hesitated when I saw that you had asked for candy coated responces.  I don't have anything particulartly harsh to say, but to me, candy coated involves the kind of reviews that you were complaining about. 

Thats odd, I always set my strys for "roast", Maybe I was not paying attetion, or maybe I put it there BEFORE the feature was implemented and it defualted to that. I will fix that right away.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.