PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1277 Members

Anyone Remember Legend of Dragoon?

1. Posted on Sep 3, 2007, 6:54:00 PM UTC
    ID: 19224 | #1
    paintedwings
    Level 4
    XP

Eons ago there was an amazing, epic video game on PS1 called Legend of Dragoon.  This is actually the videogame that inspired me to start writing and stuff like that.

So I've been trying to play it recently on our PS2 an it's not working... it keeps freezing about halfway through the first disk in a place where it's impossible to save, so I have to replay the same section over and over again praying that it won't freeze "this time."

Anyway, does anyone know how to remedy this? I checked the game CD and it doesn't have any noticable scratches of smudges.. maybe it's an issue with my PS2?

Thanks!

2. Posted on Sep 3, 2007, 6:55:27 PM UTC
    ID: 19225 | #2
    Lyude
    Level 21
    XP

actually never heard of it but i think considering your opinion i maybe wanna look at it maybe ill look at google and type legend of dragoon..

3. Posted on Sep 3, 2007, 7:00:34 PM UTC
    ID: 19226 | #3
    Icy-Sunset
    Level 10
    XP

I've actually been hunting desperately for my LoD box for some time now. xDD But I've had the same issue while playing on the PS2, with Final Fantasy 8 and nine and then later with LoD. My discs were all in okay condition but the PS2 just never ran them properly. The only way I found to get around it was to dig up our PS1 and play like that. I always thought it was rather funny that I got better results off an old, outdated system than the brand-new (at the time) PS2.

4. Posted on Sep 5, 2007, 4:51:29 AM UTC
    ID: 19254 | #4
    paintedwings
    Level 4
    XP

On Sep 3, 2007 12:00 pm, Chief Icy Sunset said:
    [quote]

I've actually been hunting desperately for my LoD box for some time now. xDD But I've had the same issue while playing on the PS2, with Final Fantasy 8 and nine and then later with LoD. My discs were all in okay condition but the PS2 just never ran them properly. The only way I found to get around it was to dig up our PS1 and play like that. I always thought it was rather funny that I got better results off an old, outdated system than the brand-new (at the time) PS2.

[/quote]

Urrgh I hope I stil lhave my old PS. I bet my brother threw it away by now... he's usually the one who plays most of the videogames, lol.

That is ironic though that the PS plays them better than the PS2, hopefully it'll work the same for me. Can't wait to get into the game again. ^_^

5. Posted on Sep 5, 2007, 7:24:29 AM UTC
    ID: 19255 | #5
    FireAngelStudios
    Level 6
    XP

Actually it's not really suprising that PS2s have some problems with PSX games. Backwards compatibility is always an issue when developing new systems, you're trying to run a game in a totally different format (CD-ROM as compared to PS2's DVD-ROM) on very different hardware. The same thing is probably a problem with the PS3 playing PS2 games, hell, if I remember right, when the PS3 was first released you had to upgrade to a new firmware to even play PS2 games because it was glitched in some way. You're using a different kind of media on different hardware, you can't expect it to work 100% perfectly. You have to remember, these games were programmed to work on PSX hardware, and only PSX hardware. That being said, you can use things like PSX emulators that will let you play games on your computer (I use ePSXe). Because they're CD-ROM games you can actually put the game disc in the CD drive to play it. They can be buggy at times but you may have more luck that way if you find good plugins. I use it to play Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey, it freezes sometimes but all in all works pretty well. Might be something to look into.

6. Posted on Sep 5, 2007, 5:34:39 PM UTC
    ID: 19263 | #7
    Level 11 BANNED
    XP

I remember that game. It was very similar to FFVII. I remember getting stuck at this one part where you have to kill this red dragon in a volcano, and I was only level 20 and too weak to fight it, but I didn't feel like tediously leveling up my characters because it took so freakin' long.

I had a PS2 probelm recently: it wouldn't play ANY games, so I had to buy a new one, even after I tried the following "remedies:"

-blowing on the CD

-blowing inside the PS2 (to clear away any dust)

-poking a chopstick into the PS2 to re-adjust the lens. My old PS2 wasn't reading the game discs.

But I think there's a PS2 self-cleaning device that could possible clean out your system...

7. Posted on Sep 6, 2007, 1:36:22 AM UTC
    ID: 19266 | #8
    FireAngelStudios
    Level 6
    XP

There's actually a fix for PS2s like that that involves rotating the lens-focusing gear a couple notches. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. It's also recommended that if you have the Gen1 PS2s (not the slim ones, like I have =p) you keep them laying flat, and not standing on the side like Sony's Manual recommended (Sony themselves even stated that standing it up on the side has been linked to some reading issues with the lens).

8. Posted on Sep 6, 2007, 3:35:43 AM UTC
    ID: 19267 | #9
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

I've never owned a consol before, but the limit of my knowledge is nintendo 64 games ^^ I always have been a computer game junkie if I play at all ;)

Start me on a convo about Kings Quest and you'll never shut me up XD

9. Posted on Sep 6, 2007, 5:55:03 AM UTC
    ID: 19276 | #10
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

I remember Legend of Dragoon. I didn't have the game but I remember playing a demo of it in the store when it first came out. It looked really awesome and I remember wanting to buy it. But I was a lowely high school kid with no money.

It's not surprising to me that the PS2 doesn't play PS1 games well. It's an emulator and not the original hardware and system like other people mentioned in this thread. But it always sucks if it doesn't work right. So far I haven't had any problems with my Wii playing GameCube games :D

Go Nintendo! :giggle:

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.