PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1272 Members

Post 20764 - Writer's Circle

1. Posted on Jan 28, 2008, 8:17:29 PM UTC
    ID: 20764
    Sliverbane

1) How about a brief introduction of yourself?

My real name is Kendra.  My online handle is Sliverbane.  I live in Texas with my two cats and I love to read and write fantasy.

2) Fabulous! And what got you into story/novel-writing to begin with?

I started reading fantasy and science fiction when I was 11.  I soon began to try writing myself. 

3) I see, so what kind of story/novel do you like to write about? Why?

I like to escape to another world and leave my troubles behind.  I like to write high fantasy adventures with little bit of raunch, magic, romance, a little bit of political intrigue and some swordplay/martial arts combat.  My tastes have varied over the years but the previously mentioned terms are the norm for me.

4) What type of characters do you normally have (for the protagonist)?

I've experimented with the stoic, warrior type.  My current hero is the young, courageous type.  Cute and curious to a fault.

5) What is your most popular/largest story/novel project? Describe.

Shen: The Legend Begins is my largest.  I can't really say which is more popular.  I get the same amount/kind of feedback for those stories.

6) What is the story/novel you've written/writing that you are most proud of? Why?

I am proud of all my work.  I am still baffled by my early works.  For a kid I had a pretty good grasp of writing techniques.  I often sift threw my old drafts to get inspired.

7) Do you find writing easy? Hard? What are the most difficult aspects of writing you struggle with?

There are days I struggle to type one word and other days it flows like a torrent.  Right now I struggle with dialogue.  I want witty conversation that has a rythm the reader can 'feel'.  Some writers often leave dialogue choppy and awkward.  And I hate it when the only phrases they use are 'he/she said'  There are other words to describe speech!!

8) Write a catchy intro on the spot NOW!

After 500 years with out a new High Templar one has finally  been chosen to guide the Elundri of Yetra in to a new age. He is the youngest Elundri to ever have been placed in this exalted position.  Just as the young Templar settles in to his new role, startling news filters in that creatures of Shaadiv, the demon realm, are passing in to the mortal world of Trugan and causing much strife.  What could have allowed these otherwise confined monsters to pass between the worlds and rally their mortal cousins to bring about suffering?  For all three worlds, Yetra, Shaadiv and Trugan to exist there must be a balance between the universal forces of order and chaos, light and dark.  If that balance is waning it is the duty of the High Templar to investigate and seek a solution. Vendrevin's quest will take him through the abyssal Labyrinth of Shaadiv then on in to the unforgiving wilds of  Trugan, and beyond. If need be Vendrevin will have to face the dark forces responsible for this imbalance.  Will Vendrevin be ready?

9) Are there any story cliche that you are just sick of?

I'm bored with the protagonist being human.  I want more characters who are not human.  I certainly enjoy a great story with a human hero/heroine, but sometimes I'd like to see the non-human races take center stage!

10) Are you guilty of those cliches that you hate?

There are some cliches that work!  Some are comfortable foundations that help a story grow - other clichesvcan be repedative and boring if the author doesn't know how to use it properly.

11) What would you call your writing style?

I'm influenced by dozens of published authors.  Maybe someone will read my work and tell me if they can see any influences.  (hint-hint) :wacko:

12) What type of story do you generally read?

Fantasy!! Wooo....  Epic sagas mostly.  I am not fond of short stories, or sagas plagued by endless battles/fighting.  I look for something provocative.  Get me hooked!!  I like magic, sorcery, well thought out worlds with culture and lore and I look for story lines that aren't frustrating - for example:  I read  book in which the heroine made the stupidest mistakes over and over again.  I couldn't respect her anymore...I didn't care if she lived or died.  It was frustrating.  I didn't even finish the book I was so annoyed with this character.

13) What's the one thing you have always wanted to write but are too afraid/shy to?

I used to be so shy about writing love scenes.  Over time the shyness passed.

14) Do you have trouble taking criticisms?

If the crit is from someone who is uninformed or making sweeping generalizations with out any explanations...yes I find it difficult to swallow.  And when I say uninformed I mean someone who appears to very little knowledge of what they're talking about.  That is not to say anyone can't critique my work - I encourage anyone of any skill level to crit my work.  However, if you're gonna critique my grammer  - it would be in your interest to have some intermediate knowlege of English grammer.  It can get pretty nasty when I have to correct a critiquer - I usually get the 'why are you being defensive' flame.  To finish -  It's not a personal attack - I just want to know why?  I may learn something about you (my audience) that I didn't know before!

15) When you write, is there anything that helps? (Music, food?)

I have dozens of CDs with music that inspires me.  I even share the songs I like to associate with my characters on my web site.  (Shameless plug)  :wacko:

16) What inspires you?

The world and beyond.  Daily life.  I never know when my muse will attack. :)

17) Laslty, how do you sum up your writer's career so far?

Heh...well my writing hobby is a little slow of late.  Personal issues/medical problems can and do cramp my style....ugh.  But every day I give it a little effort.  :heart: