PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

1. Posted on Jan 29, 2009, 9:33:26 PM UTC
    ID: 23480 | #1
    Level 2
    XP

I watched Underworld: Rise of the Lycans a couple of days ago with a few friends and I had to admit, while some of the fighting scenes were absolutely fantastic, there were a few thoughts that came into my mind that I wouldn’t mind discussing with some of you. However, before I list them I have a few requests.

1) Do not come here to post about how much the movie rocked or sucked without giving a mature and legitimate reasoning as to why. I want this to be an intelligent conversation, thanks.
    2) Please don’t quote a whole page. Just quote what’s relevant to the point you’re trying to make.
    3) Don’t make obvious comments or statements, like how Kate Beckinsale wasn’t Sonja and how they did use auditory and video clips from the first movie at the end.
    4) No complaints about spoilers either. If you haven’t seen the movie(s), then what are you doing here?

Now, onto my thoughts:

1) Why were Sonja’s eye colours constantly changing? Victor’s eyes remained the same throughout the whole movie, as did Selene’s in the first movie. However, There was the odd time where her eyes were brown instead of blue. Was this on purpose, or was it a mistake?

2) How did you feel about how we were introduced to Lucian and Sonja’s love story? I was sort of going in with the hopes of learning how they fell in love and what transpired after rather than jumping in partway through. Also, the sex scene in the beginning was a little ridiculous. It started out interesting with how it was filmed with the whole fading in and out, but then near the end there’s a scene where Lucian’s practically hanging off the cliff. Did that not ruin the mood for anyone else? I seriously exploded out in laughter at that part.

3) I was thoroughly impressed with the werewolves and lycans this go around. The transformations were very well done. I always had this impression of a crappy horror flick from the black-and-white days when I saw the first two movies.

4) The fighting sequences were also very well done. However, the fighting scene near the end when there’s lightning flashing... I don’t know if it was because I had to sit in the front of the theatre to watch it or not, but the flashing white lights were a little but much and took away from the actual fighting. There came to a point where I had to close my eyes ‘cause it was too much.

5) Do you think they’ll make another movie, but more along the lines of when they first find Selene?

6) Which of the three movies was your favourite?

2. Posted on Jan 29, 2009, 11:20:58 PM UTC
    ID: 23482 | #2
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

When did it appear in the theatres? I don't think New Zealand has it yet. Underworld to me has always been a very smooth and pretty movie, which I liked ^^ I own the first 2 on DVD ^^

The eyes always got me in the movies though. It's one thing to have glowing eyes cause you're modified, but these guys WIDENED thier eyes for some reason- I don't get why they felt the need in every shot. Relaxed eyes would be fine. It actually glamourfies Vamps a bit atleast in a positive way (onlike another movie which I don't need to name >.> ). IT's irky, but I deal with it as long as they're not constantyl glaring at the audience XD

Donno- I'll watch it when we get it, and I'll probably buy the DVD cause I 

really enjoyed the first two dispite not liking vamps (there's not much sucking- that makes it easier on me), but I 

can't give anything specifically related to this movie yet. I guess I'll have to wait a month ^^; I hate having to wait for movies to get here >.>

Spoilers don't bother me btw- I'm objective when I watch a movie. My mind becomes a clean slate and I watch the movie as if I had never seen it before. 

3. Posted on Jan 31, 2009, 5:54:09 PM UTC
    ID: 23490 | #3
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

Wow, posting rules on how to comment. 

When I see the movie I will add to the discussion.  At the moment I'm not eager to watch the film.  The whole werewolf vs. vampire thing strikes me as boring.  The Who, What and Why of the story, that is.  I get a bigger thrill from the wicked world of Vampire: The Masquerade

The 'I'm constantly wet' look from the first movie irked me. Everyone looked wet, greasy and ditrty.  I could be exactly what the makers of the film wanted.  Not my cup of tea. What I did like is some of the lore established about the Elders, etc.  Underworld 2: Hybrid Werepire was a cool idea, but looked....erm, wierd.  I suppose it comes down to taste.   As I said I will cast final judgment when I see the latest film.

4. Posted on Jan 31, 2009, 9:43:57 PM UTC
    ID: 23491 | #4
    Level 2
    XP

I copied and pasted that from a thread I posted on Gaiaonline, and on the threads there you need to post what you expect out of a discussion or else you're going to get idiots posting "lmfao I luv werewolfssssl!!!1oneseventsixn00b"
    It's more or less to encourage an actual discussion as opposed to irrelovent comments 8D

I agree with you on the whole cliche of werewolves vs vampires, though I think it's more prevailant in literature then in movies.

I never really thought about it before, but you're right about the "constantly wet" appearance. Though throughout most of those movies it was storming or the weather wasn't exactly at it's keenest moments or the characters were spending half an hour running and sweating. I'd rather have them look worn and beaten than perfectly pristine (ie. the TV show Merlin).

Yes, the "werepire" thing looked weird too. I think they could have done a little bit more interesting or more intimidating. The whole elongated claws thing didn't exactly do it for me.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.