PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1275 Members

Anatomy + Frustration = help?

1. Posted on May 5, 2008, 9:48:01 AM UTC
    ID: 21493 | #11
    Jeica
    Level 18 LOCKED
    XP

Uh, Fablespinner, I'm a wee bit lost here. XDD; Did you mean that I should look for a program called "POSER" or should I download the Daz Studios program...? XDD; I don't wanna download the wrong thing.. :/

2. Posted on May 5, 2008, 4:48:11 PM UTC
    ID: 21496 | #12
    WildeKarde
    Level 21
    XP

There is a lot of advice out there. But its plain and simple you can't draw what you do not know. If you want to draw a reallistic human form you must know what it can and can't do. Also , you must know what the parts look like. If you want to draw anime or a cartoon style its less important to know,but you still must know the basics.

There are many books out there and you will be surprised what we take for granted. Femal and male bone structures are different. But can you name how? Thats where anatomy comes in. Now, you don't need a college level anatomy class. You also don't need to pick up Grey's Anatomy Book. Something Simple as    The Anatomy Coloring Book   is very good.I recomend this book above the other because these are Basic line drawings. You can Learn about lighting and shadows seperately.  Its a High School Level Book. You can find it at Amazon in the used books for like $5.

Now, some tips how to use this. You don't need to do hours and hours of studying and learning what every single bone is named and where it goes. Buy a sketch book just for your anatomy. And for starters just sketch copy the pages. This helps you get a feel for it. Mind you you don't have to do the Organs, but they would help someone doing bloody zombie drawings. Concentrate on bone structure and Muscle structure. Most of theses once would be enough to get the basics and remember thats all you need. The ones that take a little more to sink in. Those you might need to do a few times. This you might find you need to do for the muscle structure on Face, legs and Back. Remember these are for you and not gonna be on public display. So write your notes. \

Example :  Female shoulder slope down. Male Shoulder are Straight.

When you are done you have refrences. When you draw something take a look back and review. Sooner or later these sketches will make sence and you will remember without looking back.

As you go on you will learnmore about the body. There are so many books out there pick one that most interest you. Remember If you have trouble drawing something Study its Basics, and they will get easier to draw.

3. Posted on May 6, 2008, 1:13:25 AM UTC
    ID: 21501 | #13
    fablespinner
    Level 36 BETA
    XP

On May 5, 2008 2:48 am, Jeica said:
    [quote]

Uh, Fablespinner, I'm a wee bit lost here. XDD; Did you mean that I should look for a program called "POSER" or should I download the Daz Studios program...? XDD; I don't wanna download the wrong thing.. :/

[/quote]

POSER and DAZStudio are the same type of program... DAZ is freeware however. ^_^

4. Posted on May 6, 2008, 8:44:37 AM UTC
    ID: 21505 | #14
    Jeica
    Level 18 LOCKED
    XP

WildeKarde: Aah, thanks.. Those notes do sound like they'll come in handy!

Whoa, I sure has gotten a loot of tips and hints in this thread.. A lot more than I thought I would! Thanks a lot, guys! :D It really helps and I really, really appreciate it!

Fablespinner; ....oh. *feels stupid* Man, I suck. XD; I'll get to downloading it this afternoon, then! Thanks, again. <3

5. Posted on May 6, 2008, 7:26:04 PM UTC
    ID: 21509 | #15
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

Learning about  the human skeleton and muscle tissue helped me a lot.  I woulnd't write it off completely. 

You learn about what makes the body look the way it does in various positions.  Knowing that can help you when drawing free-hand as well as with a reference.  It especially helps when a reference is missing something I wish to add to my character. 

Everyone has given stellar advice.  Just keep moving forward.  And you are your own worst critic.  Like Ark said - don't be hard on yourself.  I have plenty of embaressing sketches and drawings from years past and I look at them when I feel down.  I've come a LONG way since then. :heart:

And Poser is a great tool.  I only recently obtained Poser 7.  Wow...

That's my two cents.

6. Posted on May 7, 2008, 10:09:32 AM UTC
    ID: 21524 | #16
    Jeica
    Level 18 LOCKED
    XP

Thanks, Sliver. :) I'll keep your words in mind, ne.

*shakes head* So much to.. learn and.. practice.. x__x; It sometimes feels slightly overwhelming, but I'm already seeing some improvement, so whatever, haha. XD

Thanks again, guys. ;P

7. Posted on May 7, 2008, 1:29:00 PM UTC
    ID: 21525 | #17
    cruffins
    Level 41
    XP

another fun thing to practice is to go to public places, sit down with your sketchbook, and doodle the people who walk past. what really helped me was to go to places like gyms for muscular types, and parks or zoos for normal types. for the big types I just sit down in a restaraunt. getting in to most of these places either doesn't cost much or is free. And most won't care if you loiter as long as you bribe them with sketches or buy something there. It's also a great way to learn how fabrics move. it doesn't matter if you get in a whole lot of detail either, just a rough sketch of what it generally looks like is enough. and focus on one peice of fabric, or one body part that seems like you've never drawn that before. take it slow, and don't rush. there's lots of poeple. I like going to the restaraunts myself, I can get a drink, sit down, and watch the children, or the adluts in their natural environments. also, drawing fat rolls may not seem like the prettiest art, but it helps alot actually. especially with the female body. if you learn how to draw extreme curves, you can tone them down a bit and make them very pretty. and no harm meant to anyone who is heavyset, most of my family and my friends are very big, so I sympathize with that problem.

8. Posted on May 7, 2008, 4:54:02 PM UTC
    ID: 21527 | #18
    kaitou-kage
    Level 3
    XP

Poser is awesome.  I have managed to improve my anatomy drawing by leaps and bounds thanks to Poser.  You can view a single figure or multiple figures from any angle you want.  It's great.  The version I have is called Poser Figure Artist, though it seems to have issues with Vista (runs, but is really slow -- could also just be my computer).  At any rate, it will make things a ton and a half easier for you.

The other thing I personally recommend is tracing, especially if you can get ahold of Poser and have access to a tablet.  It actually helps tremendously because the information on how things fit together will settle into your mind if you do it right. 

Here's step-by-step for what I did:

1. Take a model in Poser and position it how you like.  Don't do something too simple, but don't go too complex either.  Find a nice, dynamic pose and put it in an interesting angle (if I remember, I'll post an example)
    2. Draw the "wireframe" setup.  You know, put the balls where joints are, a box for the chest, and lines for the straight parts of the arms and legs.  Do this on a layer above the original model.  Don't spend a lot of time here, just draw swift, light strokes that get the point across.  I tend to do this in light blue in Photoshop. (again, if I remember later, I'll post an example)
    3. Using both the "wireframe" and the Poser model as a guide, flesh out the figure in a different color on another layer (I use purple).  You can add clothing to this layer or, using another layer and color, add the clothing on top -- either is fine.
    4. Clean it up.  Use black and another layer on top and draw a cleaner version of the lineart.

Make sure you actually do the "wireframe" step because that, more than anything, is what will help you learn.  After a few months of doing Poser-traced wire drawings, I found that I could much more clearly see how body parts connected in different angles.  I still do this sometimes when I want to try a more complex pose and angle.  It's not completely infallible, but it's helped me tremendously.

If you don't have Poser/similar thing and a tablet, you can use photographs.  Find magazines, images online, even images in drawing books and trace them on a separate sheet of paper or make a photocopy and trace on that.  The concept is the same either way, but the important part is doing the wire drawing, since it provides the most basic understanding of where things go.

9. Posted on May 8, 2008, 9:03:47 AM UTC
    ID: 21529 | #19
    Jeica
    Level 18 LOCKED
    XP

Cruffins; (...that made me think of chocolate muffins... hrm hrm.)

Yeah, I've done that a few times, it's really fun, haha! though, people looked at me like I was a stalker when I kept glancing at them and then down to my paper. XD I'll try it out some more. And, yeah, I've had the same thoughts about curny/heavyset women too.

Kaitou ; Ah, thanks for all the help! I'll download a poser program today and start practicing right away! :]

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.