PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1275 Members

Character Creator

1. Posted on Mar 12, 2024, 2:40:36 PM UTC
    ID: 46877 | #11
    Ferevran
    Level 18
    XP

My experience with character creation was good the way it is. All of us have our own strengths, weaknesses and preferences, so I understand why it could benefit from some changes to it. I'll share some thoughts.

Thoughts about lowering the initial requirements to name only
    I think, at least a portrait or a small description should be a requirement. I agree with the concerns listed.

Brief biography requirement
    Depending on how a person approaches character creation, biography (even a brief one) can be a big challenge, so I think having an option to chose from either listing some personality traits or biography as a requirement would be neat.

Rank 2 requirements
    Having only AP requirement for rank 2, while the challenges from the tutorial being required only for participation in the type of challenge they are teaching. I think, it could help people, who have preferences for certain types of challenges.

For example, if a person is struggling with backgrounds (I won't be surprised if such people are more common in a community focused on characters), completing a portal could be a big challenge they may not be ready to take on, potentially discouraging them from further participation. This situation creates a barrier for rank 2 progression, which in turn prevents them from participating in battles (the type of challenge with the lowest requirements). 

Battles available for rank 1
    I think, it could be a nice change. Battle requirements are very low, so making them available early on could make the game experience more accessible and positive for new people and people seeking simpler challenges.

2. Posted on Mar 12, 2024, 3:52:18 PM UTC
    ID: 46878 | #12
    arobeans
    Level 51
    XP

It took me a while to make my first character because I thought they had to fit in with the lore. And I wanted to feel out the basic lore of the game. It was something I had to go digging for in the guides and read about to get an idea about. For instance the fact that portals is a thing and that everyone travels through said portals... I tried to choose a character I thought would fit in as much as possible. Later while getting to know the game I realized I didn't really need to sweat it as much as I did. I have no idea if others felt the same way or if that was just a me thing because I'm picky with my characters like that.

I do agree, it would be nice to have more Rank 1 friendly battles. Maybe with basic enemies or even more different types of slimes. I think the introduction of different prompts for rank 1 challenges was good. It took me a really long time to complete those challenges and get a character to rank 2 mostly because of my own pickiness with my own art (This was before additional prompts were added). I remember wishing there were more rank 1 battles because the battles looked really cool and fun! I enjoyed the livestream battles a lot and wish there were more. I feel like there's a lot of activity in the community whenever there's a boss battle.

Funny idea that may lead nowhere but, If PD had a doll maker made with PD assets I wonder if that would be helpful to some people who are not used to drawing/writing their character. But the point of this community is to make and draw stuff for their characters so I don't know if that would encourage people to create ... 

I think that the chat and forums becoming more active is a step in the right direction. Since it seems community is an important focus of the game. I think building a big supportive community is somewhat a rarity these days and I'm not sure how to tackle that. But I think this site is moving in the right direction. There are a lot of kind supportive people here. So making the community more accessible I think is good. 

Last edited by arobeans on Mar 12, 2024, 4:42:00 PM UTC. 4 total edits.

3. Posted on Mar 12, 2024, 8:45:07 PM UTC
    ID: 46883 | #14
    Peach-Coke
    Level 9
    XP

Wow, that was insanely fast - Thank you so much for this ♥

I was now able to upload the rest of my participating characters in one go and everything is going smoothly so far!

Just noticed two things (and I don't know, maybe that's on purpose? Just thought I'd mention it anyways but feel free to ignore if irrelevant!):
    - There's no option of adding a description now - It will directly publish the character after uploading a profile picture and you need to manually edit the profile afterwards. Maybe it'd be possible to still offer the step while creating and just make it skippable? :)
    - I did not receive Battle-Tokens for some of the characters. But maybe there's a limit I'm not aware of and I just surpassed it with my 2865325 Characters lmao

ANYWAYS Thank you so much, I love it!

4. Posted on Mar 12, 2024, 9:15:42 PM UTC
    ID: 46884 | #15
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Hi Peach-Coke,

As you were submitting your characters, I edited the rewards to just be 15 gold and took out the battle tokens. I didn't want players farming for battle tokens.

I really felt it necessary to take out all the optional things because players assume its all required and that's what slows them down. Players can still edit their character sheet to add additional information when they want to.

5. Posted on Mar 19, 2024, 2:20:57 PM UTC
    ID: 47043 | #17
    tigertales
    Level 2
    XP

I know personally, creating a character feels like making a new friend. That is, I gradually get to know them. So filling out a bio beforehand seems like putting the cart before the horse.

As for looks, maybe we could have a "picture generator"? That is, have a base that players can adjust the skin tone, eye color, etc. on. That way us non-artists can have something to show.

6. Posted on Mar 20, 2024, 8:55:21 PM UTC
    ID: 47085 | #18
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Thanks for the feedback! We've had a lot of interest in creating a picrew type dollmaker. We're thinking about whether or not we want to put forth the effort to build one. it would definitely be useful for everyone.

Quick Reply

Please login to post to the forums...

Login