PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1299 Members

Post 46866 - Character Creator

1. Posted on Mar 11, 2024, 11:32:06 PM UTC
    ID: 46866
    BogusRed
    ADMIN

We're seeing a lot of people sign up to PaperDemon and start creating a character but don't finish their character. I'm trying to understand why this is by surveying the players who started creating a character but didn't finish but I'm not getting a lot of responses.

Some people forget so we send them an automated email after a while if they don't finish their character.

We're considering drastically simplifying the character creator to just ask for a character name and that's it and auto-approving it. The next step would be for players to complete a character development challenge. What do you think if we were to simplify character creation to just a name and jump them into a challenge?

There are implications and concerns I have that we'd need to work through if we change things:

• If a person isn't able to finish the character creator, i'm concerned they're going to have trouble finishing a challenge too
    • We will end up with a lot of blank character sheets which could make it harder for community building
    • players may have trouble tagging their characters (since there's more characters with the same name and no image) so we may need to make some ui updates to compensate for this.

What do you guys think? Is there too much friction to character creation? What can we do to improve it? What is your experience with the character creator? Where did you find yourself wanting to quit the creator?

Character Creator