PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1278 Members

Post 4005 - Getting started with digital painting and digital art

1. Posted on Aug 17, 2005, 9:41:00 AM UTC
    ID: 4005
    fablespinner
    BETA
    Like BogusRed said:
    BTW, does the programs out there, also apply the shadows n' stuff where needed, like I see on most pictures, or do you do that by hand?

As far as I know, the software won't add shadows for you, unless you are refering to a simple drop shadow or if you are working with 3D software which is an entirely different thing.

=======

Never use the drop shadow tool in art... you can ALWAYS tell and it's not accurate, That filter is designed for logo work flat geometrics.

Now a TOOL I use, to HELP with light source mapping is POSER 4
    (You can download a free version of this sort of program at DAZ STUDIOS)

It works sort of like an artist's wooden doll, but you have a 3D human figure. What I do is I set up my pose in this program, I adjust the camera angle I want, then I bust out the lights.

The program will show you where the shadows should fall in your chosen light source and it's a good visual reference

This is however quite ADVANCED STUFF and not user friendly at all.

Learn the more basic programs first and LEARN how to do your shadows traditionally first, because you STILL have to know how to paint it when all is said and done. Poser is only a 3D rendering TOOL designed to help, it's not a crutch.

(You can also do actual 3dRendering with these programs and I just uploaded a couple I've done for you to see...
    Art thumbnail

&

Art thumbnail

Well the thumbs don't work, but click is okay...

Now I can stress ENOUGH...

There is NO, absolutely NO shortcuts. The only way to improve is trial and error, there's no computer program that will give you hard earned skill from practice. They are tools just like your pencil and eraser. No more.

^_^

Last edited by BogusRed on May 30, 2006, 2:16:22 AM UTC. 5 total edits.