PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Post 28143 - DeviantArt, the art site we all love to hate

1. Posted on Sep 22, 2013, 4:05:31 AM UTC
    ID: 28143
    BogusRed
    ADMIN

I saw an interesting conversation between hushicho hushicho and   grim-away grim-away about DeviantArt and I thought it'd be great to open up the conversation to everyone. A few interesting quotes.

[quote] I got a warning for posting a picture of two dudes kissing on DA so I'm a little afraid to post most things with so much as bedroom eyes being shot back and forth between two male characters- grim-away grim-away [/quote]

[quote]And DA often really makes me angry. The amount of trolls that live there with the amount of stolen artwork versus those of us who actually draw but can't post two men kissing is beyond disgusting. Not to mention when I went to a local convention I learned that DA owns the right to all of your artwork. So if a vendor wants to get your artwork on pillows, t-shirts, posters, wall scrolls from china, etc. All these vendors/companies have to do is ask permission and purchase the rights from DA. Not the artist. The artist makes no profit off of this (I've asked the artists I've seen the artwork printed from). So I stopped posting artwork there... it's a good thing I've found communities like this one.- grim-away grim-away [/quote]

[quote]I pretty much gave up on them when I drew a dynamic pose with a clearly flaccid dude, and of course as he was moving, so were parts of him. Some idiot admin at DA accused him of being 'erect'...which of course necessitated, to them, removing the picture.

I told them where to get off and took several years away from the site, and as I said now I only put things up there I don't really care about. DA is a stupid, poorly-run joke of a site. PaperDemon is a good place for artists and creators.- hushicho hushicho [/quote]

[quote]DA is a joke. The whole site is a joke and this "community" they speak of is laughable if not rage inducing. I spent too many years on a site that went to hell. I wish this site had more publicity. I wish more would join. It's a far greater site with better moderators then DA. As in, they're not all homophobic pricks with pockets filled with your money.

I don't need a pimp. I need a website that'll respect me as an artist, as a member of their community and will let me earn money rather then pull it out of my pocket.- grim-away grim-away [/quote]

Quotes came from here.

I've been hearing about DeviantArt's stance on nude men vs women a long time. I keep hearing the same thing from multiple people. You'd think they'd get around to addressing that problem already. It's really sad that they have that double standard.

I'm also really surprised that DeviantArt would have the right to re-sell permissions for your art. That sounds crazy. 

What do y'all think?

Last edited by BogusRed on Sep 22, 2013, 4:06:07 AM UTC. 1 total edits.