PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1271 Members

Post 20559 - Writer's Circle

1. Posted on Jan 8, 2008, 1:28:00 PM UTC
    ID: 20559
    puayen

Hi all,

I saw this fanfic meme thing at PitaBread's PD page (I saw it on the latest submissio on the front page actually), and I thought it's a very interesting concept. So, I'll be adapting it to all form of writing. The questions and my answers to them can be seen below, please fill if you have time, and have fun!

*Original idea on: http://www.paperdemon.com/art/view/17084 and http://tomoe2005.deviantart.com/art/Fanfiction-Writer-s-Meme-73837572, belonging to PitaBread and Tomoe-Chan.

1) How about a brief introduction of yourself?

My name is Tan Zu Puayen; my pen-name is Tan Zu Puayen; if I have a corporation, it will be called Tan Zu Puayen.

2) Fabulous! And what got you into story/novel-writing to begin with?

Oh... back in the old days I started writing fanfics of Buzz Lightyear or silly little stories to that effect, but never progressed with any of them to any extent probably because 1) My English is not good, and 2) I'm not quick enough on the keyboard.

Later, Lord of the Ring inspired me to write "Ere the North", and thereafter, a few other stories crept up, each with more or less very unique sources of inspiration.

3) I see, so what kind of story/novel do you like to write about? Why?

Science fiction. I could really go wild with spaceships and other ideas like that. Fantasy comes second, probably because Sci-Fi is more of a page-turner for me than Fantasy is. Non-fiction or real-time fiction? eh... no- almost.

4) What type of characters do you normally have (for the protagonist)?

Should I bring out the YellowPages?

5) What is your most popular/largest story/novel project? Describe.

THE TALES OF TWO WORLDS!!! All my stories are based in what I like to call "the same imaginary planes", meaning they happen in the same universe*, just different times and places. The Tales of Two Worlds (TTO2W) is at the center of them all, and will have an anticipated five books with lots of prequels and (maybe) sequels.

*Universe: same dimensions(?), same logic(?) etc... it's hard to say the same universe when you are doing all sorts of strange spatial travel things in sci-fi.

6) What is the story/novel you've written/writing that you are most proud of? Why?

Again, THE TALES OF TWO WORLDS!!!

7) Do you find writing easy? Hard? What are the most difficult aspects of writing you struggle with?

When I'm in the mood, I can churn out up to three-four pages in a sitting- the pages after that becomes very broken down and worn out in terms of writing integrity. It's really not hard to write- WHEN you are in the mood.

8) Write a catchy intro on the spot NOW!

(In deep baritone voice):

For millenia, the very foundation of the civilization of humanity has been based on the innovations it made. And these innovations, in turn, came from solid science. The word and concept of "science" had dominated the world to such an extent that when a few centuries ago a little child would belief in magic, a toddler now will argue scientific facts when his parent's hoaxes gone awry.

But, now, humanity will discover that the very fabric of science has been shattered. For, the age of the Revera has come!

9) Are there any story cliche that you are just sick of?

I am rather sick- or at least I felt indifferent to a lot of fantasy these days when the first page I look at I see all these Tolkien elfs and cliche elf names that are just syllables haphazardly slapped together spring out at me. I am looking for some breakthrough and new ideas in the fantasy field, and I feel rather indifferent to the story when I can find that.

10) Are you guilty of those cliches that you hate?

Well... I haven't written fantasy in quite a while...

11) What would you call your writing style?

A bit of Ben Bova (realistic descriptions with critical views on human's behaviors) and a bit of Douglas Adams (ridiculous jokes/puns). Mostly, I am rather floaty with style, though I am a bit towards the Romantic/emotional side now (though I don't like to admit to the word "Romance") instead of brutal old realism which often couldn't churn out anything but the same tragedies over and over again.

12) What type of story do you generally read?

Yeah for sci-fi with realistic spaceship tech and all that (no Starwars for me, I believe).

13) What's the one thing you have always wanted to write but are too afraid/shy to?

eh.... um.......

14) Do you have trouble taking criticisms?

Depending on whether I think that crit makes sense.

15) When you write, is there anything that helps? (Music, food?)

Music is good, esp inspirational New Age. Food, no, that dirties the hand, make all greasy and just makes a mess of typing, doesn't it?

16) What inspires you?

Should I bring out the YellowPages again?

17) Laslty, how do you sum up your writer's career so far?

It has been a successful 5-6-year career. I would like to thank all of those who have supported me, which include me parents, siblings, a few friends, and including great characters like II and his family, Ralph, can't miss Trowa, Phoebus, Trosa, ZRKI, Veliogness, Cedna, Gingei, Northrop, Silence, Rider, Sala............