PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1276 Members

Kubo and the Two Strings

1. Posted on Sep 5, 2016, 8:46:19 PM UTC
    ID: 28678 | #1
    Firiel
    Level 65
    XP

Did anyone else see this? (Well, in my case, most of it - I missed the opening scene because the lines at the theater were brutal that night. :p) I didn't even know until the credits that they were using stop-motion, the animation seemed so smooth - and the villains were effectively creepy, and while some of the twists felt cliche they were cliche in a classic sort of way. ;) I feel like there was source material I hadn't met for at least parts of what was going down, but I'm not sure? I'd love to do a portrait of the Moon's Daughters at some point. And I also kind of want someone with whom to discuss implications and theories about the ending...

2. Posted on Sep 9, 2016, 7:08:22 AM UTC
    ID: 28681 | #3
    Firiel
    Level 65
    XP

It's a recently released American animated fantasy film set in ancient Japan. The main character is a young boy who can magically control objects - mostly paper - with music, and he's the son of an immortal woman who fell in love with a human warrior and whose family was not happy with this. And like I said, apparently they heavily used stop-motion in their animation, which - knowing that many of the characters and objects were actually built and hand-manipulated rather than being computer-generated makes it even more impressive to me. The sense of humor is a little goofy in places but I don't think it was too heavy-handed, and I feel like there was a lot of good emotional characterization - and it was Pretty.

3. Posted on Oct 15, 2016, 5:20:58 AM UTC
    ID: 28709 | #5
    Firiel
    Level 65
    XP

I'm going to need to rewatch it at some point - I  sometimes like going into something knowing how things will go down, and able to watch for forshadowing I missed as well as enjoying the visual details without being distracted by internal dialog wondering what's happening next. ^_^

How did you feel about how the grandfather situation was solved in the end? Did it seem appropriate, or maybe a little unethical? Is it practical to be quite so complete about rewriting things, if there are still ways out there by which contradictory information on the situation might come to light? Trying to be kinda vague here for spoiler-avoidance purposes for folks here who haven't seen and might. :p

4. Posted on Oct 16, 2016, 2:28:23 AM UTC
    ID: 28710 | #6
    MaskedLin
    Level 66
    XP

The ending was interesting. I think that the grandfather situation could've been handled better by the others, but I don't exactly blame them either.

5. Posted on Oct 16, 2016, 4:34:23 AM UTC
    ID: 28711 | #7
    Firiel
    Level 65
    XP

I do think the solution was understandable given the circumstances, and there was a certain amount of poetic justice involved, but I think that it might be hard to maintain in the long term, both because of keeping internal consistency on part of the participants and because we still have at least one other kinsperson out there who could decide to make an appearance in the future. I would love to see some fan writing effective follow-up sometime. :)

In less majorly spoilery discussion... THE LEAF BOAT. IT WAS SO COOOL. ^_^ And I have to wonder what that says about the implications of his powers in general? Like if it's not just paper, how many forms of flat objects can he incorporate into his creations?

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.