PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1299 Members

Story rating

1. Posted on Sep 7, 2007, 4:23:40 PM UTC
    ID: 19307 | #1
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

I have a bit of a problem rating my original cyberpunk novel in progress. It's got a lot of violence (duh, it's cyberpunk) and swearing, no detailed nudity and it doesn't really describe the sex scenes in detail. Because of the violence I don't know if I should put it in the Red Curtain or in the regular library.

What do you think?

2. Posted on Sep 7, 2007, 7:04:04 PM UTC
    ID: 19313 | #2
    kirayasha
    Level 37
    XP

You know what I do when posting? I think of my fic like a movie and ask myself, what rating would it be if it was a movie? So if there's swearing it starts out as PG13, then it moves up to R if there's violance or adult themes. Since I write Shionen-ai, if the guys are taking it further than a few kisses then I'll rate it R. If there's drinking to the point where peopel are starting to feel it, it gets rated R. I know there's something with nudity involved with movie ratings, but I cna't think of it at the moment. I think it has to do with whether or not the nudity is for sexual reasons or not.

That said... if it was my fic,  I'd stick it under the red curtain simply because of the violence, swearing & sexual situations (even though they're not detailed, sex is still sex.)

hope that helps!

3. Posted on Sep 7, 2007, 10:34:08 PM UTC
    ID: 19321 | #3
    Keenarnor
    Level 112
    XP

The best thing to do is read the guidlines(where ever they are XP) or send a PM to BogusRed asking about it. As for my opinion, I think it's safe here :)

Last edited by Keenarnor on Sep 7, 2007, 10:34:53 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

4. Posted on Sep 8, 2007, 4:33:44 AM UTC
    ID: 19327 | #4
    karanakaou
    Level 70
    XP

Violence is still something we're working out as far as maturity is concerned. Your safest bet is to place it in the Red Curtain; we go over all the submissions, so if it's not where it's supposed to be, we'll move it :). And it's always a good idea to come to the moderators with questions; if you really can't figure out where to put it, you can send it to one of use to look over for you :yes:

Heidi (karanakaou)

5. Posted on Sep 8, 2007, 9:11:01 AM UTC
    ID: 19331 | #5
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

Thanks. I usually know where to put everything. But this story is very dear to me. It's been my project for 10 years already and I'm far from finished. So I wanted to make sure I'd put it in the right place.

6. Posted on Jan 24, 2011, 8:27:24 PM UTC
    ID: 25732 | #6
    shadesmaclean
    Level 1
    XP

Thanks for the informative topic. Since Tradewinds 1 & 2 are tame enough to get away with a PG rating, I left them public, but from 3 onward, the language and violence skew between PG-13 and R, so the rest of the series will be Red Curtain.

7. Posted on Jan 25, 2011, 1:35:34 AM UTC
    ID: 25734 | #7
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

On Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm, shadesmaclean said:
    [quote]

Thanks for the informative topic. Since Tradewinds 1 & 2 are tame enough to get away with a PG rating, I left them public, but from 3 onward, the language and violence skew between PG-13 and R, so the rest of the series will be Red Curtain.

[/quote]

Oooh- I donno. Are you ok with your underage audience only getting half the story? I think you need to ask yourself what the age of you are catering for and cater the whole story to them rather than having half of it mature and half not.  What do you consider bad language ans violence? It may all be PD friendly. Seriously. IF there's not graphic imagery coming from it, it should theoretically be ok.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.