PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1276 Members

What is your favourite book?

1. Posted on Feb 4, 2024, 4:54:59 PM UTC
    ID: 46526 | #1
    huniedove
    Level 7
    XP

Hello there. I see this forum is a little dead, so, I thought I'd start a discussion! What is your favourite book, and why?

What do you like about it? Whose your favourite character? How did you find this book? Do you like books at all? Maybe not, but there's this comic that really got your gears going- tell me about it! I'll go first.

My favourite book, right now at least, is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

I... LOVE this book. As a long time lover of fantasy I've read and watched my fair share of fantasy stuff, but this book captured what I always thought magic was really like. I'm not- entirely sure how to explain it? There's just this specific idea I have in my head for how magic and by extension magical worlds 'should' work- which isn't to say fantasy I dont like is dog, or even that I only like it if it pertains to this weird, specific preference- but The Last Unicorn just, got it right. There is also, ofc, the beautiful prose. Peter says things in this really metaphorical, almost painterly way. It's a very 'visual' style of writing that I find extremely attractive. I model my own writing after him, second only to the stunning style of Terry Pratchett. 

The unicorn herself is also incredibly interesting. The way she thinks about her world and the people she encounters is both alien and entirely sympathetic. She's very different from the other 'mortal' characters but she never lacks a personality and her decisions and opinions make perfect sense in the context of who/what she is. I haven't finished the book yet and I still want to watch the movie- even though I know how the story ends. (Spoilered myself, unfortunately.) But its properly cemented itself in my brain as one of, if not my favourite book.

2. Posted on Feb 4, 2024, 9:29:17 PM UTC
    ID: 46530 | #2
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

It is a little, because most of the activity happens on our Discord :) If you'd like to join that, then we're active there ^^ 

The Last Unicorn is a childhood favourite of mine too ^^

3. Posted on Feb 16, 2024, 3:28:18 PM UTC
    ID: 46587 | #3
    scenerice
    Level 1
    XP

im not that big of a reader but i picked up Gideon the Ninth recently and i LOOVED it the way the author writes characters really just itches that part of my brain and its just so good . the world building is honestly a lil confusing LOL but ive been looking at lore videos n all that jazz to help me figure it out more

also warrior cats. mostly for the nostaliga factor 

4. Posted on Mar 2, 2024, 10:07:32 PM UTC
    ID: 46716 | #4
    iaelyin
    Level 9
    XP

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 15:54:59 GMT, huniedove said in post id 46526:

Hello there. I see this forum is a little dead, so, I thought I'd start a discussion! What is your favourite book, and why?

What do you like about it? Whose your favourite character? How did you find this book? Do you like books at all? Maybe not, but there's this comic that really got your gears going- tell me about it! I'll go first.

My favourite book, right now at least, is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

I... LOVE this book. As a long time lover of fantasy I've read and watched my fair share of fantasy stuff, but this book captured what I always thought magic was really like. I'm not- entirely sure how to explain it? There's just this specific idea I have in my head for how magic and by extension magical worlds 'should' work- which isn't to say fantasy I dont like is dog, or even that I only like it if it pertains to this weird, specific preference- but The Last Unicorn just, got it right. There is also, ofc, the beautiful prose. Peter says things in this really metaphorical, almost painterly way. It's a very 'visual' style of writing that I find extremely attractive. I model my own writing after him, second only to the stunning style of Terry Pratchett. 

The unicorn herself is also incredibly interesting. The way she thinks about her world and the people she encounters is both alien and entirely sympathetic. She's very different from the other 'mortal' characters but she never lacks a personality and her decisions and opinions make perfect sense in the context of who/what she is. I haven't finished the book yet and I still want to watch the movie- even though I know how the story ends. (Spoilered myself, unfortunately.) But its properly cemented itself in my brain as one of, if not my favourite book.

I was going to say what my favorite book is, but honestly, you've inspired me to go read The Last Unicorn for myself.
    I do have a bit of a book backlog, but I have been meaning to get back into books. Guess we'll see.

Sorry, I know this was random but I couldn't help but eye this thread when I randomly entered the forums. Books and writing mean a lot to me! <3 Seems we might be kindred spirits in that respect.

Quick Reply

Please login to post to the forums...

Login