PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Privacy. Does it matter to you?

1. Posted on Aug 18, 2011, 3:47:10 PM UTC
    ID: 26135 | #1
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Hello everyone. Currently, PaperDemon lets you hide your artwork from public galleries and your own gallery but I think even then your artwork can still be exposed to other users (such as those that follow your art). Your profile is also visible to everyone on the site. There's no privacy controls other than hiding your birthday and email address.

I'd like to know, is greater privacy control something everyone wants? Are you more likely to use a site like PaperDemon if you have greater control over who sees your profile and who sees your artwork? Generally, community sites are about sharing your art and writing with the world. But I understand there are some cases where particular submissions you only want to share with certain people.

I do want to say that privacy settings are very hard to do and a mistake on my part could cause you all to lose trust in PaperDemon. So if we really go down this route, it will be a long and turbulent road. Just look at how users lose faith in Facebook because of confusion around the privacy controls. Lots of backlash has occured due to minor changes in their privacy settings.

Thoughts?

2. Posted on Aug 18, 2011, 5:02:50 PM UTC
    ID: 26136 | #2
    WildeKarde
    Level 21
    XP

Honestly, Its one of those things Thats what people believe in. I personally think once you put your information on a public social site, you give up your right to privacy. Honestly if you don't want something for all to see, don't post it online.

So in response, What you have is enough. If you don't want the public looking at your art gallery, you really shouldn't post them here.

After all this site is to show your art and your progress. Maybe even get some feed back.

Last edited by WildeKarde on Aug 18, 2011, 5:04:05 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

3. Posted on Aug 18, 2011, 10:40:58 PM UTC
    ID: 26137 | #3
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

On a social site it is important, but I think on and art site, as long as you can decide to not put info there then it's enough. On social websites, you represent yourself. On art site, it's about the art- not the artist as much. Knowing real names isn't essential here. If people want to put it then they can. 

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.