PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Art sites and jealousy.

1. Posted on Jul 15, 2011, 6:37:17 PM UTC
    ID: 26089 | #11
    WildeKarde
    Level 21
    XP

Got in trouble with the law. Their word against mine, they win by default. The stress killed it for me. Regardless of what they say, you are guilty unless court says your not. And if you can't afford a high price lawyer, they win.

Anyway, hopefully it will come back I posted a few things I've done.

2. Posted on Jul 15, 2011, 8:02:34 PM UTC
    ID: 26090 | #12
    SchwarzerAlptraum
    Level 77
    XP

I think one of the other reasons (or excuses, I guess) people use for jealousy is that they believe that art is all about talent, so you either have it, or you don't. And I don't think that's true at all. There's no such thing as talent. There is such a thing as people starting at a particular level that happens to be higher than most people's but that doesn't mean they don't have to work at it either; they simply just have a headstart.

Life drawings are a very valuable means of improvement in art. Perhaps people are subconsciously asking themselves why their image doesn't look nearly as good as it the things they're drawing, and maybe it just starts from there.

This is one of the things I often tell people. That getting better can sometimes be horrifying in strange ways. If you improve, it means your older pieces will look worse. At the time you drew them, they probably looked alright to you (and this process can sometimes take even a matter of half an hour or so), but when you get better, you also get better at noticing flaws in your own artwork. But that's true not just for your own art, but everyone else's. You might find at some point that you enjoyed someone else's work, and you thought it looked great. But if you come back a few years later, it might not look as impressive as you thought it was.

A converse exercise to the one you suggested is to buy works from an artist that you like particularly. And then keep improving and drawing and getting better. Eventually, you'll find the works you admire might not be as impressive as you thought they were.

3. Posted on Dec 29, 2011, 6:53:56 PM UTC
    ID: 27754 | #13
    Driven
    Level 5
    XP

I am more envious then jealous. I think it's because I just got back on the drawing horse, and know I can do better...but I am not back up to par yet. And this whole digital art thing is crazy and like magic to me. lol

Sometimes I feel a little shot down when good artists pop up around me, and it feels like I am left in the dust, but I use them as an example of what I need to work towards. I have artwork from a couple real good artists hanging on my walls, and some art from people who are at the same level as I am. It helps a lot to have things like that in my room. I find it encouraging.

I think it's real sad that people become jealous of one another, or like me, become envious. It's detrimental to the creative process. At least for me.

4. Posted on Dec 30, 2011, 2:26:29 AM UTC
    ID: 27757 | #14
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

I guess art is a bit magical. Mostly cause it's mind boggling to be as good as someone. Since you can't imagine being like Da Vinci or what ever, they're like Gods, ore higher being went they're jsut like you or me. 

On the flipside, it cabn be very alienating to be a good artist cause people expect certain things out of your art, and expect your personality to be a certain way. Because my art style is sorta realistic, everyone I talk to at cons thought I was pretentious till they chatted with me, where as they flock to eastern styled artists as if they're easier to talk to. Alot of people turn their nose up at me cause I'm intimadating I don't get it cause I try to be friendly, but it's not enough at a con. 

I wish that if I was going to be treated like that that I'd aleast be a pro and get the sales of a pro XD Lol. It's frustrating being almost good enough to seriously sell comics >.>

5. Posted on Dec 30, 2011, 6:49:23 PM UTC
    ID: 27760 | #15
    Driven
    Level 5
    XP

I have to admit, I do get intimidated by artists that are much more skilled then I am. I've had the unfortunate encounter of meeting arrogant artists, and it's left me with a stigma about people I am not proud to admit. 

I can understand the alienation. It is true, people do expect things to be a certain way. Wich is real silly and a bit immature. It's strange how  human psychology works. O_o 

Does anyone else get a little green with envy when they see fanart? I do. :I

I wish I could draw all kinds of fanart. Then I'd be loved. LOL jk jk

6. Posted on Mar 20, 2012, 4:08:51 AM UTC
    ID: 27858 | #16
    cateranllama
    Level 2
    XP

"I'm not sure about the whole jealosy thing- I guess I was lucky to grow up without internet in this case. "

Ha.  I was exactly the opposite.  I spent years in high school doing art classes where we were surrounded by pictures done by older masters.  You want intimidation, go pick up a book of Vermeer, Carvaggio or Rakham's fairies.  Even the sketches those people did were amazing.   Then I got to the internet where I could see people's entire history laid out on one page and I could say "wow, that person has made a lot of improvements."  And there's a HUGE variety of people drawing stuff for the internet.  You're not surrounded by the best in the world all the time.  Tons of good stuff out here, but a ton more in the middle-range.

Which isn't to say I've never been jealous of anyone I've seen online.  But ... I dunno.  Never for long.  Either I react, "Oh, that's neat, I wonder what about this picture is making me react so strongly?" and then I study it 'til I learn something or I say "Oh, neat, but totally not what I want to do.  Still neat!"  I guess I'm more likely to be jealous of people who think in entierly different media than I do.  I've seen people pull off some amazing stuff with acrylics ... in my hands they turn to mud.  But in the long run, it's hard to be jealous of acrylic when what I really want to do is watercolor effects. 

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.