PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Malware in DA's ads

1. Posted on May 3, 2011, 12:04:44 AM UTC
    ID: 25927 | #1
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Hey y'all. I wanted to share with you an article recently posted on Deviantart about malware/viruses in their advertisements.

http://news.deviantart.com/article/149597/

I wanted to let you all know that PaperDemon (and just about any other site with ads) is vulnerable to this too and it's important that we all have anti-virus software installed on our machines to protect us. PaperDemon, like DeviantArt, is supported by ad network advertisements. That means that ads from a variety of advertisers whom we never meet and are never in contact with, have advertisements on our site so that they can get business and we can make money. Unfortunately, every once in a while someone will insert an ad into the network that redirects a person to a site with malware. The ad networks themselves try to prevent this whenever possible, but sometimes these bad ads slip through.

There's very little that Deviantart and PaperDemon can do to prevent this. But if you do come across an ad that's doing this on PaperDemon, please report it to me asap. My email is [email protected].

And remember to install anti virus software on your computer and keep it up to date.

2. Posted on May 5, 2011, 2:25:45 AM UTC
    ID: 25940 | #2
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

There's alot of free antivirus programs out there like Avast and AVG that are very good too. Noone has an excuse not to be protected from the internet now days :) 

3. Posted on May 6, 2011, 9:20:34 PM UTC
    ID: 25941 | #3
    paprika-studios
    Level 2
    XP

Yeah, most of the people I know have at least two programs (an anti-virus software and an anti-malware program) just to keep their computer clean from all the ads that have the potiental to carry malware. In fact, I remember when Deviantart had a small issue with that back a few years ago that grew into a huge issue as some took that code and turned it into a nasty virus. It really sucks >()<

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.