PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

So... how does one become popular on art sites ,social sites or the web in gerenal?

1. Posted on Jan 2, 2009, 4:46:53 PM UTC
    ID: 23158 | #1
    Nekoyoujo
    Level 21
    XP

I'm not asking how you feel about it, but i expect alto of "popularity on the net is for losers". I would think that's the point on a social networking site, but whatever. That aside...

How do you think one does it?

Are you popular? How'd you do it?
    What does popularity mean to you? Does it do more good or bad?
    Do you wish you were one of the well-known ,and well-loved (or hated)?

Discuss.

2. Posted on Jan 2, 2009, 11:52:55 PM UTC
    ID: 23160 | #2
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

I guess I'm well known... I think it's cause of my mass friending habit. I try to give a bit of personality into everything including comments, and cause of that, people that I'm good to talk to. I've been a bit withdrawn this year cause I've been sick for most of it, but that's my biggest draw :) On places like DA where being the coolest person in the world isn't enough, art speaks louder than words, so places lke there, having a developed art style that is flexible and interesting also get intitial attention. If you can draw and you're friendly, you get fangirls too I've noticed.

Essentially, I've found popularity comes to those who work on being known to others, whther it's for good or bad. Some people are popular for being a b@#ch and to interesting to ignore cause they infuriate you so much. I'd rather not be known for bad things, and really, if I'm remembered for bad stuff it's usually REALLY bad for some reason T.T Donno.

3. Posted on Jan 3, 2009, 1:12:12 AM UTC
    ID: 23162 | #3
    blackwinddragon
    Level 16
    XP

On art sites, dA more than anything the way to be popular is to be an awesome artist, but you only really seem to get noticed if you do fanart of popular anime/manga or yaoi/boyxboy relationship things.  That's one thingt hat pisses me off about dA -- really awesome artists get under the radar so easily just because they do thier own thing and not whats popular.  And that why I like PD -- it'sa global community yet its still small.

Typically I don't want to be popular on sites.  If theres a few people I can talk to consistently then Im mroe than fine.  I think everyone has held some small fantasy about being popular on a the web but I'm glad Ive grown out of it, because theres always problems with being popular -- especially if youre an artist because people start to steal your work and try to claim it as your own.

4. Posted on Jan 3, 2009, 1:16:55 AM UTC
    ID: 23163 | #4
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

Oh- I think to be part of an art community, you have to have some level of passion for art, and if you show that in your art, you'll get people who will watch you cause you're passionate. Having great art helps ALOT, cause people watch you for your art, but it doesn't make you so called popular. Popularity comes from communication. Activity. Having stuff in common helps with that I admit. That's why fandart is an eas way to get popular. It's not the only way though.

5. Posted on Jan 5, 2009, 1:53:44 PM UTC
    ID: 23185 | #5
    Nekoyoujo
    Level 21
    XP

*rubs head*

I'm not just talking about dA i'm talking about anywhere.

I can't but think there's something wrong with one site talking about another site so much. Ever sence i left dA i've notice alot of people of people like talking about it weither they dislike it or not.

I'm not tiring to change the subject. That's just odd to me.

6. Posted on Jan 5, 2009, 7:29:51 PM UTC
    ID: 23188 | #6
    cruffins
    Level 41
    XP

good art, and getting very involved. commenting, posting, and generally being positive helps. if you're known for always giving positive feedback, you'll get more attention.

7. Posted on Jan 5, 2009, 7:33:05 PM UTC
    ID: 23191 | #7
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

I don't really bother getting popular. I mostly write and it's difficult to get my writing noticed, so...

Otherwise I have to agree with what the others have said. Being active helps a whole lot and being positive. Fanart is definitely the easy way to get popular, if it's fanart of popular things. There's always the exception to the rule of course.

8. Posted on Jan 5, 2009, 9:18:28 PM UTC
    ID: 23193 | #8
    Nekoyoujo
    Level 21
    XP

On Jan 5, 2009 11:33 am, Lhunuial said:
    [quote]

Fanart is definitely the easy way to get popular, if it's fanart of popular things. There's always the exception to the rule of course.

[/quote]

Like what?

9. Posted on Jan 5, 2009, 10:13:36 PM UTC
    ID: 23197 | #10
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

Drawing females gets page views and what not. It annoys me cause I draw mostly men. As soon as I draw a female- BAM!! Comments, favs, attention. Angelic or mermaid females? Hoely crap. They come out of the wood works for them. Sexy chicks, cute chicks.... Females get more than men. If you want attention, draw girls. Unlike me who just gets pissed off the more people ask me to draw more women.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.