Open group | 1255 Members

Game Review: Resident Evil 5

1. Posted on Apr 9, 2009, 10:28:10 PM UTC
    ID: 24178 | #1
    NegativeZero
    Level 1
    XP

Resident Evil...

The Negative: The series has plunged from scary to action packed adventure. They used the same concept as RE4 which was disappointing. The music score isn't quite as scary. It only warns you that there is upcoming danger and when the music dies down you know you're in the safe zone. The enemies now jump out of the way when you're trying to aim at their heads but are still cumbersome. After a while, even that gets predictable. With no 'zombies' in sight, no giant hairy black spiders that actually looked like spiders instead of some mutated freak of nature, and African Americans with personality changes by some wierd slug they digested, this game falls short of the title - Great Game.

The Positive: Completing the stages and getting high points as well as money in the levels allows the player to upgrade their guns, meaning there is great replay value. You'll want to keep replaying levels just to test out your tricked out toys. The two player co-op feature which many of us RE fans have been waiting for makes playing more fun for a small party of 2. Last but not least, the infinite ammo allows players to unload lead on anything and everything without the worry of bullet saving. It feels good to mow down a hoard of creatures.

Overall I give it a 7 out of 10 and thats being generous.

For those who own this game, what did you guys think?

Last edited by NegativeZero on Apr 9, 2009, 10:30:41 PM UTC. 2 total edits.

2. Posted on Apr 13, 2009, 7:05:07 AM UTC
    ID: 24199 | #2
    Shalashaska
    Level 6
    XP

The game was definitely worth the rental, but not much else. It pretty much met my expectations, and as a fan of the franchise since 2, and having been extremely displeased with the new gameplay system, were very low. There was NO horror to the game at all, unless you play it on professional difficulty (any enemy in the game except dogs can one-shot you) online with a buddy. The co-op totally ruined what Resident Evil was. And for god sakes people! If you are going to have a mandatory partner in single player, at least make her almost intelligent! I had to just give her the pistol and keep all the power weapons for myself, because she would NEVER use them. Then there's the whole element of luck that comes along with the humvee section. beating that boss on veteran or higher is plain luck. There is also inredibly unrealistic damage in the game, sometimes taking 4-5 shotguns shells (TO THE FACE!) to kill someone.  The game is incredibly short. I clocked in at a little under 7 hours my first time through it. Granted, there is some decent replay value to be had, what with the unlockable weapons, infinite ammo and so on. Oh and also, the halfassed cover mechanic really got me aggravated. They gave the zombies melee weapons in 4, now they have assault rifles? This game was garbage. I really really really tried to like it, for the sake of all the amazing Resident Evil games in the past (Every numbered title before RE4). There was not enough Resident Evil, and it tried to be too much like Gears of War, which sucked pretty hardcore in its own right. My score, although it's coming from a diehard Residen Evil fan, is a 

3.5/10

tl;dr Game sucked horrendously. Rent it at best.

3. Posted on May 1, 2009, 12:21:41 AM UTC
    ID: 24290 | #3
    leetpawnmaster
    Level 7
    XP

Resident Evil 4 was the first, (and admittedly, the only real RE I ever played) and I fell in love with RE4 before I made it to the first typewritter.  So, of course, hearing about RE5 coming out, and the fact that it would play similar to RE4, I felt that it would easily be an awesome game.  And while I was playing it, the game rocked. (especially Co-op)  But after you start infiltrating the Tricell facility and beyond, the game stopped being Resident Evil, like Shalashaska mentioned, once you start handing the zombies AK-74s, the game turned into a crappy Gears of War clone.

The thing that really seems to mess with the gameplay is the fact that Capcom showers you with automatic weaponry.  In RE4, you had the TMP and the Thompson. (and you had to work for that Tommy gun)      RE5 gives you a Vz61 Skorpion, an MP5, an AK-74, a SIG 556, and an M134 Minigun (the 134 being the bonus infinate gun)  All other weapon types: pistols, shotguns, rifles...etc...are fairly similar to the ones in RE4, but all of these machine guns really water down any attempt this game could have made at 'horror'.

They brought back old sack head and his chainsaw...which just isn't the same the 2nd time around...  The guy with the giant ax only appears once.  The blind mole-rat things are just a cheap rip on the RE4 gladiators (but without the gladiator armor and bells that gave those fights some strategy.)  RE5's enemies just didn't blow me away, except for the spiders....and they just made me uncomfortable.

For any gun buffs out there, I would like to point out:  1) how dissappointed I was that they didn't bring back the Red 9 as a handgun, and 2) that they modeled the M37 shotgun wrong.  The shells eject out the bottom, not to the side.  (Incredible nitpicking there, but couldn't help it.)

Basically....

For all I hate about this game though, I would still highly recomend renting it.  (definately if you didn't play number 4)  It still has the functionallity of 4, with Co-op, but it just feels cheaper at times...

3/5

Also, where's the merchant?

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.