PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1253 Members

I'm starting to believe role playing is dead.

1. Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 8:38:43 AM UTC
    ID: 28030 | #2
    Eirise
    Level 2
    XP

I think that's because not many 'younger' people know about it, to carry on, perhaps? Or have never had a chance to become properly introduced, at least. I only heard about this mysterious ''role-playing' a couple years ago, and I didn't know how or where to begin, so I have never gotten the chance to start. A big part of this is that all I've seen for rping in the wide, wide interweb is fan rps.. not sure what the right term is. Topics like Bleach or Pokemon or some other anime, or rps that are the equivalent to harlequin books <.< Which, I mean, whatever floats your boat, I guess... But I kinda thought that an rp could be a story that two/more people wrote together, sorta?

2. Posted on Sep 22, 2013, 5:36:45 AM UTC
    ID: 28145 | #3
    ryuran123352
    Level 3
    XP

I dunno about you, but I stopped RPing because too many people were god modeling and worse... It's no fun if nothing you do has any effect... or if your partner types in chatspeak

The only person I write with now is my girlfriend because we have equal roles in the stories we craft... I've written novels via roleplay in the past... but not been able to find many people I can enjoy doing it with anymore.

3. Posted on Sep 22, 2013, 4:35:33 PM UTC
    ID: 28148 | #4
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

I was really into role playing back in the late 90's. I think back in the day the internet was more limited so people found RPing as an easy and cheap way to entertain themselves. Now there's things like Youtube to distract us. 

I'm happy to support any RP efforts people want to start up here. We have a chat room!

4. Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 4:35:21 AM UTC
    ID: 28155 | #5
    grim-away
    Level 5
    XP

It's the god modding. I can't connect with a fellow RPer if their character has no flaws and instantly kills mine because they have 1 or 2 flaws.

I'm still into RPing but lately it's just D&D and Shadowrun. It's because I have more of a chance to campaign with people who have flaws. No one can be god modded because it all depends on a dice roll. If we had this kind of RP here I might not lose interest so easily.

5. Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 2:55:16 PM UTC
    ID: 28157 | #6
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

You can do dice rolls in our chat room. Just type /roll [num of dice] [dice sides]. So for example, if you wanted to roll two 6-sided dice, you'd type /roll 2 6. The dice rolls don't work in the forums but if you want me to enable it in the forums I could take a look at doing that.

6. Posted on Oct 5, 2013, 9:15:20 AM UTC
    ID: 28163 | #7
    grim-away
    Level 5
    XP

On Sep 24, 2013, BogusRed said:

You can do dice rolls in our chat room. Just type /roll [num of dice] [dice sides]. So for example, if you wanted to roll two 6-sided dice, you'd type /roll 2 6. The dice rolls don't work in the forums but if you want me to enable it in the forums I could take a look at doing that.

Whoa! You can do this? Kind of like Gaia does (but that site is for the younger generation these days, I feel so old over there). I think with a function like that it kind of disables the god modding but it also boils down to the character creation, no? LOL maybe I'm trying to justify the means by pointing fingers when I just have this need to create characters with so many flaws it sometimes goes against them. Maybe it's the writing classes I've taken where the teachers/profs tell me that each character must have an equal amount of flaws compared to their good points in order for people to relate to them but in the end I create so many easy ways to defeat them.
    For example: I have a warrior Mershark. She's pretty strong. She can fight on land or in the water quite well. She's afraid of pigs. She wouldn't know what a cooked pig looks like so throwing bacon at her wouldn't do the job. Bring in a real pig and she'll freak out. She also can't speak english (at first, she speaks a choppy form later on). She's good at charging into battle when she needs to but she has terrible observation skills and bad sense of direction on land. Her sense of smell is reduced significantly on land. In the water she's pretty tough but still has bad direction. There are a lot of openings there for a god modded character to snipe her. I think flaws are a much needed thing and we should encourage it too. Flaws are fun to have and a lot of our favorite characters have them.

Especially the protagonists.

Protagonists in every story has mountains of flaws. This is why they get to have the journey. This is why authors tell their stories. If they had no strife and no barriers to overcome, their stories would be pretty boring. If the protagonists never lost a fight, it'd be pretty boring as well because that's not real life and we as the reader cannot relate to them. Characters who win all the time because of all these alterations just make the story or RP boring. I lose interest so quickly in RPs lately and it's mostly because of these points. I just can't have fun with the perfect no nonsense character. As a long term RPer it's important for me as a fellow runner to play with someone who's flexible with their characters.
    If people have seen Luffy from One Piece, that's a really good example of how to make a fun yet very strong character with 8 million flaws. He's crazy. He's hilarious. He has a million flaws but he's the coolest character ever despte is flaws, he's pretty badarse.

Holy... when you get to a certain age you just start preaching I swear. Sorry about this... I really flew this one off the handles.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.