Open group | 1219 Members

The Hobbit

1. Posted on Apr 2, 2013, 11:41:33 PM UTC
    ID: 28078 | #1
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

Dwarves!!!

For many years now I have wanted a movie about dwarves. I feel that dwarves are marginalized in fantasy as the 'missing race' or sterotyped as the 2-dimensional grizzled hard-nosed warrior. (Example: Elder Scrolls) This is one of the reasons why I was really exited about The Hobbit.  I really enjoyed the movie and the re-imagining of the dwarven cast.  I am eager for the next segment of the story. Bring on the dwarves and dragons please.

What really happened that night at Bilbo's house? (parody): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXFQFnUdh5I

2. Posted on Apr 4, 2013, 12:04:30 AM UTC
    ID: 28079 | #2
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP

I haven't watched the parody you linked to yet but it's in my watch later queue. I'll definitely check it out.

I enjoyed the movie but was surprised when it wasn't resolved. The original book was 1 book so I was not expecting the movie to be a trilogy. I remember reading the book when I was a kid. I don't remember much of the details but there's one scene in particular I remember because I did an art project of it:

https://plus.google.com/101008014148893901857/posts/ayupcKxDA2g

3. Posted on Apr 5, 2013, 5:37:56 PM UTC
    ID: 28080 | #3
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

My only childhood exposure to The Hobbit was the animated movie.  When I first saw the Lord of the Rings trailers years ago, I thought it was for The Hobbit...

As for the trilogy thing...well, they're trying to make some money. I have to admit, they have me on the edge of my seat wanting to see more.

4. Posted on Feb 20, 2016, 11:58:21 PM UTC
    ID: 28523 | #4
    Firiel
    Level 65
    XP

It was nice to see a variety of Dwarves on screen - and they made more of an effort to differentiate them and give them all personalities than the book did, honestly. But I don't think it Needed to be three films. Even including backstory and the Necromancer sidequest, it felt to me like it could have flowed better as two...

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.