PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1222 Members

Net Neutrality 2017

1. Posted on Dec 4, 2017, 5:58:27 AM UTC
    ID: 28928 | #1
    Inuyoujo
    Level 13
    XP

Everyone needs to be talking about this!

The newly appointed head of the FCC is trying to end Net Neutrality. Before it was SOPA and PIPA, but now we have a former lawyer for Verizon is lead chairperson, and he's made an overt threat to Net Neutrality. This person was hired by Obama, but was put in head chair by Trump.

If they take away N.N. the internet will basically turn into cable TV. The internet will turn into paid packages, and smaller site's bandwidth will be slowed to a molasses crawl. Bigger companies that can pay for more bandwidth speed will have priority over smallers sites - and kill small business, independent blogs, and the large companies will have control over what we see, like TV.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Contact your senator, rep, and feel out all the petitions! We need to protect the internet!

Last edited by Inuyoujo on Dec 4, 2017, 6:04:09 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

2. Posted on Dec 4, 2017, 4:51:31 PM UTC
    ID: 28929 | #2
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP

I agree. I spent time a couple weeks ago calling and emailing my representatives. I also left a comment for the FCC.

I strongly recommend not using the canned messages at battleforthenet because the FCC will disregard duplicate comments. They consider them spam. So take the time to write your own custom message.

If net neutrality were to be dismantled, it could make it harder for smaller sites like ours to compete with bigger sites because bigger sites can bargain with internet service providers to get priority access for Americans.

Dismantling net neutrality also grants ISPs the power to censor the internet as they please.

Dismantling net neutrality could also mean getting internet will require paying for different packages. In Portugal this has already happened. You have to pay $5 a month for facebook access, another $5 for Netflix, and so on. I don't even know how a site like ours would fit into all of this. 

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.