PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1250 Members

ComiCon Table Advice

1. Posted on Jan 1, 2016, 8:06:08 AM UTC
    ID: 28410 | #1
    Harlequaint
    Level 9
    XP

I know this is jumping the gun but I want some advice here. I'm working on stuff and (fingers crossed) get a comic done to get a table at the ComiCon in my town a few months away. I have never gotten one before and would like it if those that have done it can give me some tips. I will have to figure a way to get prints and to table (mostly pay for all this). 

2. Posted on Jan 1, 2016, 12:44:15 PM UTC
    ID: 28411 | #2
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

I would suggest aiming for next year if it's your first one. Anything less than half a year away to me sounds like no where near enough time for anything more than prints. There's a process to making a printed comic which is more complex than a web based one- you'll want to make sure that it's not printed last minute, cause throwing files at a printer last minute doesn't give you any room for proof prints, and if there's a mistake, that's your whole print run ruined. 

I've printed a few comics for conventions though (Not in America, but in New Zealand, so my advice is based off that). What do you know about already about the process of making a comic to sell at a convention?

3. Posted on Jan 1, 2016, 11:16:48 PM UTC
    ID: 28412 | #3
    Harlequaint
    Level 9
    XP

The ComiCon is in September so I have over half a year and I have some Traditional work I can get prints made of. 

I don't know much abut comics, I'm still trying to figure that out and I'm working on one, redoing another one. I was gone to get it done hopefully in time for a test copy to be done and get it printed from and online source instead of doing to a Print Shop. Would be nice if I had some one who has done conventions join me at the table.

4. Posted on Jan 2, 2016, 6:43:09 AM UTC
    ID: 28413 | #4
    BogusRed
    Level 280 ADMIN
    XP

If you are looking for someone to join your table, you could try posting in the comicon forums if they have any. ive never done a table before at a con. maybe i will try it in a few years

5. Posted on Jan 2, 2016, 8:21:57 AM UTC
    ID: 28414 | #5
    Harlequaint
    Level 9
    XP

Saddly the ComiCon in my town is still an infant and they don't have any forums. They don't even keep the website updated until two days before the event. I don't know that many artist in my town I could ask, the one I would...not worth asking.  

6. Posted on Jan 19, 2016, 6:51:41 AM UTC
    ID: 28462 | #6
    Harlequaint
    Level 9
    XP

Thank You for all your help. After talking to another friend the table cost it not worth it so I'll still be going, just not getting a table. Be nice if they set up and Artist Ally and offer low cost tables for local artist. The Con is growing and this would be a boost for local artist that don't go to the big competitions.  

7. Posted on Jan 19, 2016, 11:35:31 AM UTC
    ID: 28463 | #7
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP

IT's hard to find cons with decent table prices. Do go and see what people sell and research though. Maybe next year you can sell stuff. IT's a lot to spend on a stall and go in not knowing what to do though. Don't be afraid to ask artists questions. DO however bring money to buy some stuff though if they do impart knowledge (it's polite). I think of it as a souvenir of the talk. You don't have to, but they could be talking to customers- and let them serve others if they get them while you're talking. They'll appreciate it :)

8. Posted on Jan 19, 2016, 6:34:09 PM UTC
    ID: 28464 | #8
    Harlequaint
    Level 9
    XP

There are only two artist that have been coming every year since the 2nd one. They are guest so they get free tables, even James O'Barr got a free table, but that is a given. As for other artist there are not that many that show for tables. They have a pathetic art show that no one follows the rules on canvas size and they allow it. I'm so tempted to go talk to the guys that run the Con (and deal with the male chauvinist attitude) about setting up and Artist Ally and offer tables at lower cost to get more local artist into the con. There are some that do fan art and people would buy prints. It would also bring money into the town by helping local artist. Other than those two there are no more art venders, just venders that sell stuff to appease the geek gods.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.