Open group | 1241 Members

What made you do it? Art I mean?

1. Posted on Feb 26, 2016, 2:15:57 AM UTC
    ID: 28540 | #11
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 274 BETA ADMIN
    XP

On Feb 25, 2016, Angelus-Mortis said:

Several things. I like to think of art, not as a trip where there is a specific destination but a journey. One that doesn't end. And part of that is that your art style and skill level will change over time. It might get better, it might get worse, or you might just have more styles under your belt. You're never going to be your "best" because you can always do better, and seeing how your art has changed is one of the most interesting things about art.

The other reason I do it is to express an idea. I draw some things sometimes because it has meaning to me, and I like to share it. (It's unfortunately also the reason I don't keep a lot of scraps or random things.)

Oh- I love the journey too :D HAving a pretty result is nice too, but art is super interesting and therapeutic. IT's nice to get lost in your mind and put it down on paper / screen. These are two super good reasons to love art :D

2. Posted on Feb 26, 2016, 2:52:08 AM UTC
    ID: 28541 | #12
    Firiel
    Level 65
    XP

On Feb 26, 2016, arkillian said:

On Feb 20, 2016, Firiel said:

I think I've always been drawing. I can't find a memory of an age where I wasn't holding something - a pen, a pencil, a crayon - and trying to make it do what I had in my head. Did a mix of stories rolling around in my mind, fan art (although I didn't know the term then - it was just "I'm drawing The Black Stallion, I'm drawing Narnia, I'm drawing Bilbo"), "contests" with my sisters to design a dress for a princess at the ball or invent a season-themed faerie-character, and trying to copy illustrations from my favorite books. Some of it was a need to have an outlet - show people what's happening in there, introduce 'em to this new character I was making. Some of it, when I'm honest with myself, was just wanting to keep up with my big sister who was miles ahead of me in skill at the time just by virtue of having been on this planet longer. Smile

Oh man- that's the way to do it though, right? Find a thing you love to draw and draw it? Copying existing art without shame to see how it works. Don't ever lose that spark, hon. Many get caught up in popularity, and lose that diversity spark. It's something to cherish Smile

Thanks. <3 I want to stick this out. See where I go, watch myself level up - see if I can get any closer to seeing the interior of my mind on a page in realcolor. ;)

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.