PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1222 Members

The Color of a Wedding Dress

1. Posted on Feb 9, 2009, 6:25:11 PM UTC
    ID: 23561 | #1
    Rina-ran
    Level 3
    XP

It's actually late for me to change now, but I'll like to hear some opinons anyway.

I'm getting married 4 or 5 days from now (the 14th) and it's been decided that we're doing a Valentine's wedding. I'm wearing red and white while Joey is wearing black and red. I'm quite comfortable with the color scheme and I'm finding it exciting.

But these thoughts brought back memories from high school. I overheard chatty girls talk about what kind of dresses they would want to get married in. Superstitions about each color mainly...

Just wondering if it were you, would you take that  into consideration? Are you one for colorful weddings, or the traditional? Does a white wedding dress mean anything anymore? And if you want, you can talk about designs.

2. Posted on Feb 9, 2009, 6:36:23 PM UTC
    ID: 23563 | #2
    Lhunuial
    Level 20
    XP

Well, I wouldn't go for a traditional white dress at all. I'd look horrible in it, because I'm very pale and white makes me look like a ghost.

White used to signify a woman's virginity and I'm pretty certain a lot of women who get married these days aren't virgins anymore, so basically the meaning of white is lost.

and almost forgot: Congratulations!

Last edited by Lhunuial on Feb 9, 2009, 8:37:45 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

3. Posted on Feb 9, 2009, 7:16:55 PM UTC
    ID: 23565 | #3
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP

First, Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you on your big day!

I would say that there probably isn't much superstition around color of wedding dresses anymore except for the color black. I think many still believe black is bad luck. My sister in law wouldn't even ride in a black limo because it was bad luck (she requested a white limo but a black one showed up and she wouldn't get in it so we ended up going in our cars to the ceremony instead).

So you should be ok in red and its appropriate since its Valentines day.

4. Posted on Feb 9, 2009, 8:23:49 PM UTC
    ID: 23566 | #4
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 273 BETA ADMIN
    XP

Oh wow- congradulations on the big day!! Do post photos if you can, even if it's only the dress ^^ I'd love to see what it looks like :)

Colour does have alot of superstision, but it only pulls as much weight as you let it. If you want to be married in red and white, then I think that's hawt ^^ Just have fun, cause this will be one of your most treasured memories in your life. Enjoy the day to its fullest ^^

5. Posted on Feb 9, 2009, 9:25:53 PM UTC
    ID: 23568 | #5
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP

Red is lucky in many cultures.  The stigma about colors comes down to what YOU believe.  In some cultures white means death/nothingness while black means life/earth...   Red to the Chinese is lucky.  Brides in India wear a plethora of colors.  I think it's great your splashing your big day with a bit of color.  :heart:

6. Posted on Mar 9, 2009, 9:00:18 AM UTC
    ID: 23945 | #6
    Rina-ran
    Level 3
    XP

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Sorry I'm a little late, but here's my journal over how my wedding went:

http://www.marinatsunamia.deviantart.com/journal/23455395/#comments

And here's a link to my photobucket if you just want to look at pictures:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v86/MarinaTsunamia/Wedding/

(sorry, you'll have to click to the next few pages since the last photos I uploaded were of me turning my cat into a camera whore. I miss her dearly. And then I loli'd out for my mom to shoot pics.)

There's a video in there of my husband freestyling on DDR. ^^;

Even though I didn't get married and that dress, I still wore it afterwards. I don't believe that the color of your wedding dress will reflect your wedding. I don't even believe a dress is needed. My aunt remarried wearing a jean jacket and brown pants.

7. Posted on Mar 9, 2009, 8:38:54 PM UTC
    ID: 23960 | #7
    MorbidFairy
    Level 1
    XP

I'd love to get married in a waist coat and tie :3 you look so happy in those pictures ^^

If I ever got married and had  to wear a dress, it would either be some kinda pink and black punk styled, purple and black styled gothic dress or a lolita dress :3

I don't think it matters what you wear as long as you have a good time and you will be able to remember it for a long time. I would rather wear my normal clothes if I ever got married so the money spent on the dress could go for more fun times on the honeymoon. Or xbox games XD

8. Posted on Jun 19, 2009, 5:51:08 PM UTC
    ID: 24472 | #9
    OnlineDater
    Level 1
    XP

First, let me congratulate you both. In my point, I prefer white gown than any other color just because of the color scheme. I find white to be cool, serious and decent. It also represents a lot of things. I donโ€™t go for the common thing; I go for the real thing.

Free Online Dating

9. Posted on Jun 19, 2009, 8:36:15 PM UTC
    ID: 24473 | #10
    dr4win9f00l
    Level 6
    XP

Congrats- and you both look snazzy as hell.

I recently went to a wedding where the bride wore this FANTABULOUS cream-coloured Victorian gown she'd made herself- if I find pics online, I'll post.

But as for colour- it's all about personal preference, I would say.  Why wear white if you look bad in it?  Or any other colour, for that matter- you should be the best-looking person in the wedding, tradition be damned.

I'm just glad tuxedos are basically no-brainers.  Makes my hypothetical future wedding to some hypothetical future dude I haven't met yet a lot easier to plan out.

Quick Reply

๐Ÿ”’ This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.