PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1220 Members

What is your biggest frustration with improving as an artist?

1. Posted on Jan 29, 2018, 3:10:36 PM UTC
    ID: 28983 | #1
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP

Hello PaperDemon Community,

I'd like to improve PaperDemon to better help you all become more awesome as artists! 

If you wouldn't mind answering this simple question for me below or in a direct message:

What is your biggest frustration toward improving as an artist?

or put another way...

What is holding you back from becoming the artist you want to be?

Last edited by BogusRed on Jan 29, 2018, 3:11:18 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

2. Posted on Feb 20, 2018, 12:58:22 PM UTC
    ID: 28993 | #2
    hushicho
    Level 33
    XP

Sometimes it's like an invisible barrier. Other times it's things like "I'd like to see how another artist does (specific thing)" but can never find a suitable tutorial, or video, especially with a specific program.

I still do my best, and I'm generally fairly pleased with my work, or I recognize what I should work on. I usually feel like it's down to me to determine what I really need, and I'm okay with that.

But I still wish I could find more specifically what I feel I need. Still, it's remarkable how many resources are out there, and the newsletter really helps me to find plenty of genuinely useful things. I'm grateful for that!

3. Posted on Feb 21, 2018, 8:07:03 AM UTC
    ID: 28995 | #3
    MaskedLin
    Level 66
    XP

Shading, specifically for dark colors, fur, and unusual substances like water, metal, ect. I've devoted a lot of time to lighting already, but I still don't feel that I'm where I want to be.

4. Posted on Feb 22, 2018, 5:06:59 PM UTC
    ID: 28997 | #4
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP

Hushicho your comment kind of gives me an idea about a curator or mentor who would recommend next classes or areas of study to focus on.

I'm glad the newsletter is useful! I don't hear many comments about it so I'm glad to hear about it.

Yeah shading is a tough one. I'd like to do a livestream about beginner shading. But it will probably have to wait until April since I'm doing a lot of traveling soon. Though that might not be directly useful for your use case (dark colors, fur, substances)

5. Posted on Feb 24, 2018, 11:30:25 AM UTC
    ID: 28998 | #5
    hushicho
    Level 33
    XP

I think that's a great idea -- honestly, if there were some sort of system here or something, where people could learn from each other...learning from those with specific experience, who can help one to learn...would be a really fantastic experience.

I honestly think that any help, any advice, a foundation, a basis, would help so many, so much.

Too many tutorials and instructionals out there just don't help or concentrate on informing; too many of them assume way too much about people. It helps much more to maybe start a little slow, even if only due to major differences in the programs we use to create our art, or the media we use.

6. Posted on May 30, 2021, 11:30:13 AM UTC
    ID: 34862 | #6
    Baalf
    Level 1
    XP
    I thank the most frustrating thing is knowing that you usually don't care about improving because you like where you are at, but when you actually do want to create something amazing, you realize you don't have the skills.
  7. Posted on May 30, 2021, 10:38:58 PM UTC
    ID: 34867 | #7
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 273 BETA ADMIN
    XP

Yeah- it's frustrating that the improvement process is very slow. Specially after an art funk. Art morale is low, and results are poor. It makes for a lot of frustration T.T

8. Posted on Nov 13, 2022, 11:33:41 PM UTC
    ID: 42044 | #8
    ByThePowerOfDUSKULL
    Level 66
    XP

"What is holding you back from becoming the artist you want to be?"

Honestly, with me, it's either very low confidence or very low competence.  Like, being in my mid 20's I know I should be leagues better than I am today, but I just can't seem to move past this point.  This feeling is a lot stronger when I see people my age, or even younger do way better than me.   I dunno, I feel like even though I've been doing this all my life, I will never be good enough, y'know?

9. Posted on Jan 4, 2023, 1:02:10 PM UTC
    ID: 42727 | #9
    Twimper
    Level 23
    XP

What is your biggest frustration toward improving as an artist?

Comparing myself to others. Even if I've only been in the media a few months I can't help but compare to other than feel disheartened I'm not as good. 

What is holding you back from becoming the artist you want to be?

Time ;_; being an adult takes up way too much time. plus having two working breed dogs takes up a lot more. 

10. Posted on Jan 16, 2023, 6:24:40 PM UTC
    ID: 42788 | #10
    Endergirl101
    Level 17
    XP

i have a hard time with hands and feet, as well as drawing characters holding stuff. and backgrounds. i also have to struggle against the fact that I have no art stamina, so its difficult for me to sit and just work on one thing

Quick Reply

Please login to post to the forums...

Login