PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1220 Members

Getting started with digital painting and digital art

1. Posted on Aug 15, 2005, 10:37:35 AM UTC
    ID: 3942 | #1
    BamboozledByAnime
    Level 22
    XP
    Well, the problem is, I would LOVE it, if someone would be able to tell me, what computer programs I should buy, for scanning in my artwork, and then actually working on them on the computer, instead of doing all the coloring n' gunk with BORING colored pencils XD. I had went to wal-mart today, to look for ,Microsoft Photoshop, but they didn't have it, so I was wonderng if perhaps I was searching for the wrong thing??? lol. Anyways, could I like, get an exact name of the product I should buy, and hopefully, the best program to use lol. I REALLY want to make my art look better using the art programs that are out there, and that's one way, I can step my art up to the next level. BTW, does the programs out there, also apply the shadows n' stuff where needed, like I see on most pictures, or do you do that by hand? Lol, I feel so lost, I've no clue about these things. I've done all my art you see by hand since 2001 >_< colored pencil+mechanical pencil+a black ink sharpie..lol

ADMIN EDIT: I'm making this topic a sticky because it has such helpful info in it.

Last edited by BogusRed on Oct 16, 2005, 4:59:11 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

2. Posted on Aug 15, 2005, 12:59:25 PM UTC
    ID: 3945 | #2
    zacula
    Level 31
    XP
    Do you mean Adobe Photoshop? That is what I use for most of my computer related needs.... used to use it more, got back towards traditional though. any way it is a program I like. For scanning I use a the dell all in one center that came factory. sorry not much help I suppose...
  3. Posted on Aug 15, 2005, 1:05:49 PM UTC
    ID: 3946 | #3
    Guestie
    Level 12
    XP
    I think Adobe Photoshop is generally considered the best but there's loads out there... all I've got is Coral Photopaint 9 and that works well enough for me... and you should be able to download it for free with a bit o luck, save on the old spondoolies and get yourself a giant curry feast! Lovely stuff!
  4. Posted on Aug 15, 2005, 1:25:41 PM UTC
    ID: 3947 | #4
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 273 BETA ADMIN
    XP
    I use Photoshop 7, but what really helps me is having a tablet. I'm not saying that you can't come up with outstanding results without a tablett, but its easier, and more like drawing than with a mouse.

Any programme is good when you get use to it. Photoshop is very good, but takes quite a while to get use to. I had nightmares with layers, but now days, they are a peice of cake :) Its all practise.
  5. Posted on Aug 15, 2005, 2:18:00 PM UTC
    ID: 3954 | #5
    BamboozledByAnime
    Level 22
    XP
    Is a tablet that thing, that allows you to draw upon it, and it shows up on the computer screen? Don't those cost alot? O.O lol. And is traditional art, doing it by hand? lol. So, any program is good enough to use for adding color to your art? hmmm,where can I buy this stuff? I have to get this art stuff man >_< I'm not experienced yet like yall are lol. And I want to get there! lol
  6. Posted on Aug 15, 2005, 8:03:56 PM UTC
    ID: 3966 | #6
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP
    I use Adobe PhotoShop CS1 and Corel Painter IX. If you like working with more traditional mediums such as acrylic and oil paints, get Painter. PhotoShop is a good all around paint program but Painter has better brushes and is more like traditional art. I was able to get Painter for $100 at my school. You might be able to get a similar discount (see bottom). I was also able to get the whole Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustratior, indesign, and... something else) for like $200 at my university. Regular retail price is $1,000 for that suite so there are deep discounts for students if you know where to look.

The tablet you'll want to look for is a Wacom tablet. There are I believe two or three different models. The cheapest one I think is called "Graphire" and is about $90 (this is the one I have and it works fine for me). But if you want a greater range of pressure sensitivity and accuracy, you might want to get the next model up, the "Intuis" or something like that. Each model also comes in different sizes. The bigger the size, the more expensive it is. I'd say, start off with the small cheap one.

If you are a student, you can purchase your software and tablet from one of these two sites and get a big discount. I've used creationengine a few times in the past but i don't think i've ever used the academic superstore. These days I just get my software right on campus. I love SJSU :D Anyway, here are the sites:
    http://www.creationengine.com
    http://www.academicsuperstore.com

Hope that helps.
  7. Posted on Aug 16, 2005, 3:15:39 AM UTC
    ID: 3977 | #7
    Sliverbane
    Level 40
    XP
    A quality flat bed scanner is a must have in my opinion. And the scanner software can make a big difference in the quality of your scanned images. I learned that much over the tears. I have a Microtek ScanMaker. I love Microtek scanners!! I'm trying to replace my old one since the drivers and Windows XP don't get along. Photoshop works very will with Microtek scanners - I've never had a problem.

For software I reccomend:
    www.journeyed.com

It's for students and faculty. Highschool students can buy from them as well. :heart:
  8. Posted on Aug 16, 2005, 5:33:42 AM UTC
    ID: 3978 | #8
    fablespinner
    Level 36 BETA
    XP
    Before you spend a LOT OF MONEY....
    I suggest testing a computer program like OpenCanvas 1.0
    (If you google that you will find FREE downloads for it, that was the OLD VERSION)
    AW HECK HERE: I ZIPPED IT FOR YOU, DOWNLOADY CLICKY CLICKY THIS WAS ALWAYS A FREE VERSION OF THIS PROGRAM, No copyright infringement no worries.

It works sort of like Painter Pro... VERY BASIC no bells and whistles but will allow you to learn the basics before you drop a load of cash on something like Photoshop.

It also has a great feature where you can network with your friends and draw together in real time. (I do this a lot with some of my friends.)

then you can export the event file and watch the whole thing like a movie.

NOTE: It loads in Japanese the first time. YOu gotta go to one of the top drop down menus and find where it says "ENGLISH"

then voila you can read it.

^_^

Hell, I STILL use OpenCanvas 1.0 to do all my digital inking in, because it's a nice smooth white board.

I use Adobe PhotoShop 7.0, OpenCanvas 1.0, Poser 4, and a Wacom Intuos II 12 x12 tablet pretty much exclusively.

I rarely if ever anymore touch paper and pen. (Unless I'm doodling on scrap paper at work as I try to explain health insurance claims to geriatric deaf people and arseholes.)

Scanners... get a flatbed PERIOD.
    ANY flatbed really... Cannon, HP, (A company you've actually heard of before.)

ALl in one centers, printers, scanners etc... suck donkey nads.

Last edited by fablespinner on Aug 16, 2005, 5:46:57 AM UTC. 2 total edits.

9. Posted on Aug 16, 2005, 9:03:32 AM UTC
    ID: 3982 | #9
    BogusRed
    Level 279 ADMIN
    XP
    Yes I agree. Definately get a flat bed scanner if you don't already have one. Your art doesn't look like it's photographed though so you probably already have a good scanner.

As for software, I suggest getting something free like Open Canvas as D suggested to see if you really like doing digital work before you invest a lot of money.

Don't expect the computer to do the work for you though. Just because you are doing art on the computer, doesn't mean it takes any less skill than doing it by hand. Even though the computer offers some nice convenient controls that speed up the process when compared to doing things traditionally, you still have to use the same hand to make the art and have the same eye for design/color/porportion/etc.

BTW, does the programs out there, also apply the shadows n' stuff where needed, like I see on most pictures, or do you do that by hand?

As far as I know, the software won't add shadows for you, unless you are refering to a simple drop shadow or if you are working with 3D software which is an entirely different thing.
  10. Posted on Aug 16, 2005, 8:34:23 PM UTC
    ID: 3989 | #10
    BamboozledByAnime
    Level 22
    XP
    Thanks VERY VERY much everyone who posted, I am deffinately gonna download the canvas that D. Posted, and thanks D. for putting that. Man, I didn't know there was all this stuff that you could get for your art (I didn't even know what the name of the Tablet till you said the name rofl) How did I go for so long without knowing this stuff? Bah! Least now I know lol. Now alls I gotta do is get em' >_< Thanks again yall, it is really a big help. Oh and Bogus, my scanner is a Prima Scan Scanner, flat* :)

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.